clock speed (memory)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I've just bought a new system and need to understand a bit about setting clock speeds.

I bought a 400 mhz dimm but the updated Bios won't let me set the speed to above 250mhz.

is there something I've missed? Maybe I bought the wrong dimm and need to replace it with something within the range offered in Bios but alas it would be nice to know the issues involved.

Sponsored Links
Can you supply more details of your system. Make, model, cpu. Also, motherboard model number (printed on the board..maybe :D ). Have a look in the BIOS for a setting that let's you alter BUS speeds manually (it may be locked because this is set to AUTO, or something similar. It could also be because your system doesn't support DDR400, but a new system really should. Have you got another module installed? If so, what speed?

Igorian said:
Can you supply more details of your system. Make, model, cpu......

Hi

great little system, barebone bought with ....
Asus T2-AE1 Athlon64 SKT754 SIS760GX Audio LAN Mirage
(90pb53aa010000aecz)
AMD (Newcastle) Athlon 64bit 3200+ 512kb L2cache 754pin
Kingston 512MB DDR PC3200 400MHz CL3 Memory Module, only the one!
and a
Western Digital WD800JD Caviar SE 80GB 7200RPM SATA drive.

Even after updating the bios to 0703 I can't get the clock speed above 250 mhz and I don't see this is right. The 'limit' setting allows only to 250, no more even with bios update.
Maybe I missed something here? Perhaps I cannot use the 400MHz dimm in this machine.
Maybe I am a plonker and need to buy the right Dimm memory!

Many thanks

Laurence

Are you sure you are adjusting the memory bus speed and not the system bus? Memory (usually) auto detects. What does the POST screen show?

Double or single sided DDR?

Sponsored Links
DDR = Double data rate Its clocked in your case at 200Mhz but the memory operates on the. rising and falling edge of the clock giving 400Mhz operating speed.
MikeD

Tis absolutely correct. Remind me not to post while drinking JD :oops:. Well, it was my wedding anniversary :D

mikeddavies said:
DDR = Double data rate Its clocked in your case at 200Mhz but the memory operates on the. rising and falling edge of the clock giving 400Mhz operating speed.
MikeD

Hey this is good, many thanks.

Back