laptop advent 9117 memory upgrade

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hello everyone i have an advent 9117 laptop which has 2 x512mb of pc 3200 running vista premium.here is specs web sitehttp://www.uktsupport.co.uk/advent/laptop/9117.htm Vista uses most of the 1 gb so i need to uprage memory. I wanted to know if i can use faster memory eg 800 mhz and if so will bios detect it and run at that speed or will it harm laptop . will the memory just run at the fastest speed it is capable of running or set at in bios. i know its got to be 200 pin sodimm ddr2 and a max of 2 x 1gb its the speed of the memory which im wondering about . so if anyone can explain about putting faster speed memory in i would be grateful many thanks paul

Sponsored Links
Hi Paul

1gb for vista will be sluggish.

Phone Mr memory for ram- good prices and service- lifetime warranty- honest advice, ie they will not always recommend the most expensive option.

www.mrmemory.co.uk

you can pay for faster ram but it will work at the lower speed so you will be wasting your money. It is the motherboard rather than the bios that limits the ram speed. I always install the max ram that I can- it costs so little these days- biggest bang for bucks by far.

Vista can also utilise flash memory sticks as well.

http://www.extremetech.com/article2/0,1697,2017844,00.asp

Generally as long as the type of memory is the same i.e. DDR2 in your case it will work. The speed is set by the computer and doesn't change. It will just clock the memory slower. It is only a problem when you try to put slower memory in. E.G. in the good old days pd SDRAM you could out PC133 in a PC100 slot and it would work just clocked at 100MHz you could not put it the other way round though.

Definitely try to upgrade to 2Gb though. I don't know why they sell Vista machines with less than 2Gb most recommend it as the minimum for Vista.

Sponsored Links
"I don't know why they sell Vista machines with less than 2Gb most recommend it as the minimum for Vista."

Me neither, it costs eff all to double the ram. 2gb is better but arguably still a little low if you are running Abode CS4 progs...

BTW (important!!!!!!!!!!!!)______if the max ram is 2gb you must use 2x1gb. The machine has a max and each slot has a max. So a desktop with 4 slots up to a max of 4gb must use 4x1gb and not 1x4gb or 2x2gb

You will probably need to remove the keyboard to add the second stick- this really is quite easy- also push the ram in at 45 degrees until it clicks into place. The other stick will probably only require you to undo one screw on the under side

Back