advent 9117 laptop blank screen

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi my friend has got a advent 9117 laptop which is about 3 years old ,its as new always sat on a desk.it has windows vista premium which was updated recently ,but now lights come on but screen blank .ive googled this and lots people have same problem after updates they say that the bios has been effected is this possible ? ive tried external monitor nothing and swapped memory still blank screen .the symptoms are the same as every one else which have posted here http://www.adventsupport.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=6560. So does anyone think this is possible?

Sponsored Links
A vista update would not update the bios.

If you do not see anything, even the bios screen then the inverter might have blown. The replacement cost will be less than £20

Sometimes the cable that runs to the screen becomes faulty, does wiggling the screen help?

You say that the leds light up, do you hear the fan etc, as if windows is loading.

I would recommend trying to boot linux from cd but if you can't see the bios screen this wont help

___________________EDIT____________________

Have just been to the advent forum and see what you mean!!!!! Very odd indeed.

I guess you will ahve to sit tight and wait, sorry....

What tossers DSG are.

yes big problem im surprised no one has posted same problem on this site with any advent laptops .must confess i thought inverter screen so tried external monitor then thought must be graphics chip after trying some other memory rule that out.so i googled it and found advent forum with all other people with same problem .anymore input from anyone who has heard about this be nice thanks paul

Sponsored Links
I had a similar problem with an Advent (now redundant - worst computer I have had) If I moved the screen, like moved it back or forward, the screen would go blank. Forcing a switch off by holding down the power switch till it died, then restarting solved the problem.

Back