Close Coupled Modern Toilet leaking

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,
need a bit of advice. please see attached picture. i had a new bathroom installed a week ago and all looks good.
except that we have this very strange issue with the toilet. did not leak for the first 3 days and all of a sudden have started leaking intermittently from underneath.
there is no leak from the back where the water inlet connection is. infact i covered the whole inlet pipe with tissue paper over night and it was dry the next morning but the floor around the base was all wet.

i assume the toilet bow itself is faulty? the strange thing though is , if the toilet bow itself is faulty and leaking from underneath, why is it intermittent and not leaking all the time? we dont get any water on the floor after flushing and may not g et a leak all day. then it starts leaking again the next day. very strange. please advice.

thank you

Sponsored Links
hi and thanks for your comment. the installer will be back to take the whole toilet bow out but am just curoius as to what is going on as i find it quite strange, especially with the intermittent leak

"Do nut" washer between cistern and pan leaking !!!

Probably misaligned and moved when cistern was fitted

Sponsored Links
thanks Bosswhite.

only thing is,ifthat was the case, then the sides or back of the toilet bow will be wet as well, right? ie when the leak happens, i should get wet hand if i wipe my hand round the back and sides of the bow?

but all dry..... :confused:

Its likely to be the bolts/nuts that go through the cistern that hold it to the pan.

Other potential problems.

Condensation.

Pan connector.

Cracked a faulty cistern or pan

I fixed one of these this morning, the customer reported that it leaked when flushed.

I removed the toilet to find that the 'plumber' who fitted the toilet pushed the pan connector on at an angle and the internal rubber came off inside.

I fitted a new pan connector and applied drain dye to the cistern to check for leaks.

Job Done.

Andy

Many thanks all. Appreciate your comments and thoughts. I will update when the installer comes in this weekend.

Thank you all

thanks all. just thought i will add a quick update.

plumber came in and we discovered leak was from the actual drain out of the back of the pan. silicone applied and all good now. thank you all for your inputs.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back