Closing gable cavity

7 May 2019
Reaction score
United Kingdom
What are the options for closing the cavity on a gable end wall? The drawings I have say 6mm masterboard. I need to bed the verge tiles, can it double as the undercloak?

Sponsored Links
Why do you have to close it? But yeah I’d assume undercloak cement board type thing
When I’ve done it I’ve used the undercloak on the outer leaf only which I believe is the standard approach, don’t know how wide you can buy it.
as above, there's no need to close the cavity but if you must you can use 300mm wide fibre cement board - typically though 150mm f/c board is used.
the felt crosses the cavity and the battens but not the f/c board.

what you suggest OP might result in the 6mm masterboard cocking up the verge tiles or slate.
It used to be standard procedure to cock the tiles at the verge to stop the water coming of the side of the roof.
Sponsored Links
i know but i think the practice sometimes introduced other problems
You can see various roof tiling details e.g. verge , ridge , eaves etc, under technical details on the websites of tile companies such as Redland , Marley , Sandtoft etc.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local