Clothes from washing machine come out smelling bad. Could no trap on drain be the cause?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Screenshot_20190718-174608_Gallery.jpg

As the title says I've noticed that clothes are coming out of the washing machine smelly. I've had a look on behind and there is no trap on the drain instead there is a vertical pipe coming up through the floor. This pipe appears to be vented.
I have tried running cleaning cycles but it's not helped.

I'm thinking it may be the lack of trap causing the issue but I'd like to take some advice on this before I go ahead and start making changes

Sponsored Links
your photo isn't very clear, please show us more. Where is the kitchen sink in relation to the washing machine waste?

Does the waste hose from the washer loop up to worktop level before going down to the drain?

How did you do the cleaning cycles?

Are you in a hard-water area? Or has the washer recently moved from a hard-water area?

how often do you use the washer? Do you leave the door and the soap drawer slightly open between uses?

How much soap powder and fabsoft do you use?

Do you mostly do low-temperature washes?

Have you got some white cotton towels?

Last edited:
Open the soap drawer - is it black inside - if so it's probably the softener starting to grow its very own mould culture (horrible smelly stuff) which will be in all the pipework and the base of the outer drum. A few very hot no-clothes cycles with cleaner or vinegar might help
If you use less than a teaspoon of softener for each wash rather than the capful recommended by the manufacturer you'll find it does all that's required

Do the clothes smell musty with a smell that gets worse when they're damp?

if so its bacteria in the machine that then gets into the clothes. It can be very difficult to get rid of as even if you get the washing machine clean it can be a real pain to get the smell out of the clothes. Repeated washing doesn't seem to work. Sometimes its not the washing machine that's at fault and its just taken too long for the clothes to dry and have grown the same bacteria.

I ended up running the washing machine through a couple of 90 degree cycles with a bit of bleach in the water. That fixed the machine and stopped it from making new clothes smell. To get rid of the smell in the clothes i tried drying them outside in sunlight (the UV apparently helps killk the bacteria that cause the smell). That worked for some clothes. others i ended up washing on a 60 degree wash with some white vinegar. Some clothes i could just not get to smell clean and i chucked them away.

Sponsored Links
From the picture it appears that the waste from the nachine is plumbed into the drains.

It should be a loose fit into an upstand pipe to create a air gap between washing machine and the drains.

The end of the waste pipe must not reach the water in the trap.

upload_2019-7-19_10-31-44.png

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back