CLS Timber in Loft, Is it rot starting or something else???

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

My loft is boarded using CLS as the supports which have been screwed into the trusses. Boards are then laid and screwed on top of them.

I've noticed a couple of these CLS beams now have what looks to either be rot or perhaps the sap coming out of them. As you can see from the pictures it is a relatively small area but if you press your nail into it, it feels soft.

Do we think this is anything to worry about? Should the beams maybe be replaced with something higher grade than CLS? Of course lofts tend to be damp places.

Thanks...

Sponsored Links
OK... That comes as some relief...

But... These have been in the loft for a while and it seems odd that they suddenly appear?

The screws attaching to the trusses run under this area so does it weaken the CLS timber strength much?

the resin will always have been there the heat off the summer would have made it less viscose more runny
few resin pockets cause a problem they can vary from around less than 5-15% off the structure so not a problem
the ones in your picture are small for the size off timber

incidentally burning offcuts like that give you that lovely wood smell :D

Sponsored Links
Ahh ok, thanks... So it has come to the surface / become noticeable.

It was only because that area feels soft when pressed I became concerned.

Ahh ok, thanks... So it has come to the surface / become noticeable.

It was only because that area feels soft when pressed I became concerned.
if it was a maple tree it would be the main ingredient for maple syrup

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back