Clueless flat owner trying to find a solution

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
So basically I live in a basement flat and both the gas and electricity boxes are directly outside my front door, which looks ****. So my question is

1. Can these electrics be moved at all, and if so who's doing it and how much is it going to cost roughly. There are 4 meters for the 3 flats above me and my own, so could 3 them be moved upstairs to the entry floor of the other flats? Or could the entire thing move to a different place away from my from door?

2. What solution is there for covering them failing point 1. I assume some sort of electrical box will do the job for the large fuses at the bottom? Something similar to this maybe ........

Any ideas, experiences or feedback would be appreciated!

Attachments

• PXL_20220418_164957418.jpg
    PXL_20220418_164957418.jpg
    382.3 KB · Views: 175
  • PXL_20220418_162048295.jpg
    PXL_20220418_162048295.jpg
    445.9 KB · Views: 170
Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsored Links
They could be moved yes, but only by your DNO (depending on your area). As they are flats im guessing they’ll only allow a ground floor location and probably all in one location due the need for emergency isolation in case of fire etc.

Expect a big bill!

you will need the DNO to move the cutout, possibly 4 different metering operators to relocate the meters and then an electrician to reconnect/extend/move all the submains to the flats. You will also need the permission of the freeholder as to where the equipment is located. As well as any easements/way leaves for the location of the equipment and cable runs

A cupboard would be a better option, but make sure it is a accessible to all occupants and the DNO/meter operators. You may need the permission of the freeholder still as it’s external to your property

They could be moved yes, but only by your DNO (depending on your area). As they are flats im guessing they’ll only allow a ground floor location and probably all in one location due the need for emergency isolation in case of fire etc.

Expect a big bill!

you will need the DNO to move the cutout, possibly 4 different metering operators to relocate the meters and then an electrician to reconnect/extend/move all the submains to the flats. You will also need the permission of the freeholder as to where the equipment is located. As well as any easements/way leaves for the location of the equipment and cable runs

A cupboard would be a better option, but make sure it is a accessible to all occupants and the DNO/meter operators. You may need the permission of the freeholder still as it’s external to your property

Thanks for all the info mate, definitely not got the energy to go through the process of moving it all in that case! Are there any pre designed products available to cover all of the various elements? Or is it just a case of finding electric cupboards roughly the same size and making them fit?

To move all that would be such an expense (for you) and such a drama (you would get some negativity I'm sure) I really, really wouldn't recommend it.

But a cupboard or some kind of door or screen would be far simpler.

It shouldn't really be on full view like that anyway, in case of sabotage.

Sponsored Links
I think seeing the layout you have there you’d struggle to get something off the shelf.

Possibly your best bet is to get a carpenter or similar who can build something in situe to house it all

Can you send a picture taken further back to get a better idea of what can be built around it all?

I think seeing the layout you have there you’d struggle to get something off the shelf.

Possibly your best bet is to get a carpenter or similar who can build something in situe to house it all

Yeah it's really awkward with the gas boxes right next to it, so any sort of hinged door wouldn't work. Will talk with a carpenter, see if they can suggest something as obviously will still need access to the meters.

Thanks mate

Can you send a picture taken further back to get a better idea of what can be built around it all?

As you can see really awkward to build anything accessible with those gas meter boxes in the way.

Attachments

• PXL_20220418_195320643.PORTRAIT.jpg
    PXL_20220418_195320643.PORTRAIT.jpg
    293 KB · Views: 156
  • PXL_20220418_195327850.PORTRAIT.jpg
    PXL_20220418_195327850.PORTRAIT.jpg
    260.6 KB · Views: 155
  • PXL_20220418_195346933.PORTRAIT.jpg
    PXL_20220418_195346933.PORTRAIT.jpg
    418.8 KB · Views: 147
Yeah it's really awkward with the gas boxes right next to it, so any sort of hinged door wouldn't work. Will talk with a carpenter, see if they can suggest something as obviously will still need access to the meters.

Thanks mate
Maybe some kind of folding door or screen could work.

L-shaped perhaps.

How much space between the left of the gas box and the front of the meters etc?

As above, maybe an l shaped cupboard to cover the gas meters and the electric ones

As above, maybe an l shaped cupboard to cover the gas meters and the electric ones

See attached image, about 4 ¹/² inches. The gas boxes are already quite intrusive to the front of my flat so that's another thing I'm trying to figure out a solution to.

Also got a random water pipe and a tap coming from the corner next to the electrics, it's a right mess!

Attachments

• PXL_20220418_200721173.jpg
    PXL_20220418_200721173.jpg
    295.6 KB · Views: 109
  • PXL_20220418_201253679.jpg
    PXL_20220418_201253679.jpg
    191.1 KB · Views: 103
  • PXL_20220418_195030593.jpg
    PXL_20220418_195030593.jpg
    435.5 KB · Views: 108

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back