Cluster fk buying a hoover!!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
So I ends up with this cheapo £65 effort from Argos but cos they no longer tell ya a power rating in W's ya can only go on a letter rating which this is a D

Argos will not take it back if I use it, so am a bit dubious taking it out the box now in case its not powerful enough and am stuck with the dam thing....

Have only been able to find 1 review and a bad one at that...

Anyone got a clue if power rating D is good enough to clean a car???

I aint a minge bag by any means but I would prefer if I bought one that was just powerful enough to do what i need it to

Sponsored Links
Powerful vacuum cleaners were banned a couple of months ago.

They are now all of the type that don't lose suction - because they haven't got any to start with.

The wattage (electrical power) rating has very little to do with the ability of a vacuum cleaner to actually clean things. I bought a Numatic Henry, which is only 700W but outperforms my wife's 2 Dysons which are 1400W.

Having said that, a D rating doesn't sound good. If the choices are A to E then yours is the second worst (or 4th best).

Having said that, a D rating doesn't sound good. If the choices are A to E then yours is the second worst (or 4th best).
... but what are these 'ratings'? If they are some sort of 'eco ratings', then E ('worst' in the eyes of eco-people) might mean highest power consumption (albeit I agree with you that such means little in terms of function).

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
It gives A as power rating but D for carpet

The carpet rating is from A to G

Its going back anyhow, am not being conned into buying something if i dont know if its up to the task...

:LOL:

yep, dysons are for wimps…. swivel ball action……..

DS

:mrgreen:

I would sooner buy something like that henry than take a chance on some 65 quid jobby, espesh when am not clearly being told exactly how powerful the dam thing is....

whos idea was this anyway, who cares if i want to hoover up in as quick a time as possible, these low powered ones are just going to take twice as long to do the job so i fail to see the point!!!

Any air velocity cleaner (they don't use vacuum) has to do certain things to maintain that velocity which include the right gap between cleaning tool and surface to be cleaned any removal of any restrictions to the air travelling through the cleaner.

Cleaning can also be aided by agitation be it a brush or a beater.

For large hard surfaces a angled brush can bring the dirt to one point where it is sucked up as seen with many road sweepers.

Speed of the cleaner over the surface will also alter how much dirt it will lift. A road sweeper typically travels at 4 MPH but with a reasonably clean street it can speed up to 8 MPH but Autumn leaves could slow it down to 2 MPH.

Cleaning items like an area area ready for a concrete pour it is dependent on the operator both seeing rubbish and the cleaner having enough velocity to suck up both water and metal clippings after the steel fixers and typically needs three motors at around 800W each.

With domestic we have the biggest mixture of uses and it is impossible for any single cleaner to do them all well. To quantise cleaning power means some standard material spread on some standard surface with a cleaner moved at a standard rate with a standard motor and a standard width of clean.

Since the cleaners don't have a standard width and are not propelled at a standard rate it is impossible to give them any meaningful rating.

But limit the functions tested then may be you can give some figures but then you are only comparing carpet cleaners and then you have to split these into three distinct groups. 1) Without any cleaning aid. 2) With dry cleaning aid. 3) With wet cleaning aid.

As far as I am aware the watt limit is limited to a carpet cleaner using no cleaning aid.

So the Henry is not a carpet cleaner it is designed more for industrial use. The cleaners which wash the carpet are not included be it with water or powders.

How one measures the power the user puts into a Ewbank I don't know. It clearly uses power but not electric power.

Just like rough service light bulbs there will be a range of cleaners with a label which gets them around any rules on power. A quick google shows 2.3 kW and 3.4 kW vacuum cleaners are still for sale.

Upright cleaners do seem to have dropped their ratings typical details.
Power Supply (V) - 240
Motor Rating (W) - 1200
Air Flow Rate (l/s) - 48
Vacuum Pressure (mbar) - 250
Container Capacity (l) - 5.5
Working Width(mm) - 380
Cable Length (m) - 12
Operating Noise (dB(A)) - 66
Weight (kg) - 9.5
That was a Karcher CV 38/2 Upright Vacuum Cleaner but most others do give the ratings but among all those details you note there is no energy rating.

At home we started with a succession of Hoover Juniors and we wanted a cleaner which would last longer. Not wanting to pay the price of a Kirby and not wanting to carry that weight up the stairs the Dyson became the cleaner of the day all the family ended up with a Dyson. It seemed in some ways a complete reversal we had slowly moved to disposable bags then suddenly returned to bagless.

We have burnt out two in the family in around 20 years and compare that to the Hoover Junior which had problems lasting two years the Dyson was one of only two cleaners used by the extended family to last over 10 years. The other was a Kirby and you need Charles Atlas to carry them up the stairs.

Be it the Hoover Junior or the Dyson every part you want can be bought so like the famous brush you could have the same brush for 20 years. It did have 10 stalls and 20 heads but still the same brush. The same goes for the cleaners brushes, bags, motors, drive belts, casings could all have been changed but still the same vacuum cleaner.

But buy an unknown make any break down and the bin is the only place. Vax and Numatic like Hoover and Dyson have loads of parts available. But try local market for parts for a Sebo and I would expect to walk way empty handed.

whos idea was this anyway, who cares if i want to hoover up in as quick a time as possible, these low powered ones are just going to take twice as long to do the job so i fail to see the point!!!

Hoover is not a verb, it is a brand name. You are vacuuming up.

Anyway a lower power model doesn't necessarily take twice as long, they may be more efficient.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back