Clutch and brakepads on Citroen van....

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I have a Dispatch van, 58 plate, 17000 miles, bought from new. I do not carry huge amounts of weight and do not make loads of stops per day.

I have recently had to replace the front brake pads as they were 95% worn.

I have been out with mechanic from garage today as also have some clutch judder. This occurs intermittently in 1st and 2nd gear.

I have not been, so far, impressed with the aftersales service from this particular garage. And have felt like I have been fobbed off several times.

My question(s) are should the pads require replacing after 17000 miles? A car would maybe do 40000 miles per set of pads I read. Is a van half this?

And should I be getting clutch judder after this kind of mileage?

I do not 'rag' the van, but then I am not a sunday driver either! :confused:

If the above should be doing 50000 miles then do I have any recourse? Could I possibly argue that the parts must be inferior/naff quality and push to get them replaced before 3yr warranty expires.

Any help or thoughts welcomed.

Many thanks.

Sponsored Links
I'd want to get at least double that mileage out of a set of pads so something's not right there. Are the brakes binding at all? This might account for the judder as well.

Brake pads are classed as wear and tear items mate and there's no chance you'll get anything there....I agree that 17k is a low mileage, but anyone would argue that it was the drivers big feet to blame.
As for the clutch, Citroen won't honour that either, unless there is an obvious oil leak, or damage to the friction plate once it has been removed.
Even then, Citroen are the worst manufacturer bar none to honour warranty claims.
John :)

A lot might depend on the quality of the pads fitted in the first place. I'm no expert on brake pads but on my motorbike I've found some wild variations in performance and wear. One (Armstrong) was fine in the dry but had no stopping power in the wet.

Sponsored Links
The judder sounds like a dual mass flywheel failing, if they don't honour that its going to be £800 bill there or there abouts, flywheel is £300 on its own. but if it is and at that milage i would be onto citreon uk asking why.

Hi all,

I have a Dispatch van, 58 plate, 17000 miles, bought from new. I do not carry huge amounts of weight and do not make loads of stops per day.

I have recently had to replace the front brake pads as they were 95% worn.

I have been out with mechanic from garage today as also have some clutch judder. This occurs intermittently in 1st and 2nd gear.

I have not been, so far, impressed with the aftersales service from this particular garage. And have felt like I have been fobbed off several times.

My question(s) are should the pads require replacing after 17000 miles? A car would maybe do 40000 miles per set of pads I read. Is a van half this?

And should I be getting clutch judder after this kind of mileage?

I do not 'rag' the van, but then I am not a sunday driver either! :confused:

If the above should be doing 50000 miles then do I have any recourse? Could I possibly argue that the parts must be inferior/naff quality and push to get them replaced before 3yr warranty expires.

Any help or thoughts welcomed.

Many thanks.
I have a 59 plate dispatch used as a black cab and the pads do not last very long you can get the hard pads from cab direct also the hard disks so you get a lot more mileage from them. As for the clutch judder mine has been like it from the first month I got it from new it is a fault that they will not admit to it also happens on the expert and the scudo [all made the same]. The man that said after sales warrenty is crap is right you have to fight for everything they would not pay for a uj boot on mine said it was wear and tear. I love the vehicle but service is rubbish.
cheers baztc

Back