Coal Chute Cover - Rust Removal

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have discovered, buried under the existing paving on my front pathway, the original Victorian steel coal chute for the property.

It has a lot of rush and it seems the designs/text is either damaged or not restore-able?

I have used a wire brush to get rid of a lot of the rust to bring it back to a better condition but as I continued for some time, it felt the letters/designs was breaking off the more I tried to brush?

Should I be concerned that I can actually damage the coal chute details or is it just the surface rust coming off?
20160424_181637.jpg

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Time and wear and tear have taken their toll.....you won't be able to restore the lettering as its long gone, but the good news is the entire lid isn't likely to collapse!
John :)

Thanks for the advise.
Shall I continue to sand it down or is it ready to paint?

Although its cast iron, it really still needs a primer to help the paint adhere.....consider Hammerite Kurust rust killer (Pink liquid when brushed on, then turns blue / black) followed by Hammerite primer then gloss.
John :)

Sponsored Links
you could use the battery charger + washing soda method of rust removal, if you want to preserve what remains of the pattern without abrasion.

Otherwise, I agree with Kurust, but not Hammerite as it is thick and very difficult to remove or repaint. Ordinary black paint is more in keeping, or leave the cast iron bare.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back