Coating For Hardwood Door Steps ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have 2 hardwood door steps that would probably benefit from some type of coating that is strong enough to cope with regular daily use of the 2 doors.

At the moment, the steps are exposed wood that would probably benefit from some type of protection. My thought are to sand them down, possibly rub in some linseed oil or similar and then seal with a grain enhancing clear lacquer, preferably with a matt/flat finish.

Would anyone please be able to recommend any products that are suitable that can cope with the foot traffic of a front door and a back door?

Rgds
Jack

Sponsored Links
You cant use linseed oil then seal with a paint, it wont adhere to it. Why not use a micropourus basecoat, which will penetrate the timber then use a topcoat of Sikkens or Sadolin or similar.

Jack,

Your request is a difficult one to define, there are many fine transllucent products available ranging from Solignum, Sikkens, and Sadolin. Yet you speak here of a high foot traffic areas. Therefore they will need regular treatments.

In my opinion the use of oils would be the better option, yet they will also need annual maintainence, Providing your steps are not oak you would be ok to use Linseed oil. these will offer two types either raw or boiled the former will have an extended drying time.

It has often been said that the continual application of either raw or boiled Linseed takes on a reddish affect, yet I have never found this to be proven. Another oil to consider would be Tung yet again annual treatments are a must.

Also the advice offered by Robbie was corrrect if using oils do not make any attempt to seal the surface.

Dec

Jack,

I didn't get that quite correct, it is ok to use the raw linseed on oak but not the boiled.

Dec

Sponsored Links
Robbie & TheDec,

Thx for your replies and advice.

I am OK with options that require annual maintenance as the doorstep areas are straightforward to maintain. My hope is to preserve and enhance the natural colour and grain of the hardwood rather than stain it a different colour.

From your replies it seems that either raw linseed oil or Tung oil are both options.

Going back to my initial thoughts of oiling the steps then applying a coating on top of the oil, would a clear shellac not adhere to the oiled wood? If my memory serves me correctly, in the dim and distant past in woodwork classes at school we used to give a rub of linseed oil to sanded wood then follow this up with a coat of shellac and there were no issues.

Rgds
Jack

Are the steps internal or external? If internal then I like Bourne Seal. I got 10 litres for £6 in the local auctions.

Blimey Joe thats what I call a bargain, thats around £50 worth of product.

Dec

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back