Coating new front door

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi - I have a new oak front door that's been delivered. The instructions say to apply 2 base coats and 3 top coats using Sekkins products. Fine.

However it also suggests use Sekkins special Kodrin products for cut-outs such as the letter box and hinges etc. However, I can't find anywhere locally that sells it and I'm wondering if I can get away with just applying the same products as for the base coats and top coats?

The door is tucked into a deep porch and will only ever be exposed to cold and wind - never sun or rain.

Or should I follow the instructions and hunt down some Kodrin?

Many thanks

Sponsored Links
AFAIK Kodrin is just a high build filler. If you aren't bothered about the actual finish under the hinges or in the cut outs then forget about it.

I would however give the end grains, top and bottom extra coats of finish. You may never get another chance to access them.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back