coax cable for sky?

Thanks Monkeh and chapeau, having run the coax and plasterboarded over I then find out that sky HD needs twin coax! so I've had to go out n buy more cable (the correct stuff) and run it along a different route, hey ho

Is it the HD or the Sky+ that requires twin co-ax? I thought it was the Plus element- as it uses twin tuners?

Sponsored Links
The HD and the Plus boxes both have twin tuners so need two feeds to each box. The twin cable is just a labour saving tool. There's nothing special about it.

It's simply 2 coax cables molded together so it's quicker to run. Each core has a smaller diameter than regular sizes satellite cable simply to keep the reel weight down and so that there's no especially large drill bits required.

The only "special" concession to the twin cable is that it needs narrow diameter F plugs. :)

You can get WF100 in twin actually, and I'd pick two runs of WF100 or a run of WF100 twin (which only comes on big drums) over the usual small stuff any day.

Funny you should say that, I saw twin cable 'shotgun cable' on Ebay nice n cheap, so zoomed into screwfix expecting the same................sadly, it came up at £70 plus quid, so I bought £13 quid's worth of single cable, taped em every 3 feet and pulled em thru together :)

Sponsored Links
Is it the HD or the Sky+ that requires twin co-ax? I thought it was the Plus element- as it uses twin tuners?
It's the twin tuner functionality that needs two feeds. This applies to both SKY+ and SKY+ HD boxes (afaict all sky HD boxes have SKY+).

If you can live without twin tuner you can actually configure SKY+ and SKY+ HD boxes into a single tuner mode (the option is in the hidden installer menu, instructions for getting into that menu are burried in the manual somewhere in one of the troubleshooting guides).

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back