Coaxial in walls

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I'm a novice here so sorry if these are stoopid questions.

I've recently chased out concrete walls and had an electrician come in a wire up my flat.. The chases are still open as I gotta get round to plastering them all up. However, I've just decided i want to run coaxial along the same routes.

The twin and earth is in oval conduit. Can I just run the coaxial with no covering next to this conduit and then just plaster it all up? I know it means there is little recourse if I the cable goes wrong somewhere but I really don't want to have to widen the chase any more- as I would have to do if the coax had to go in conduit too. Concrete not being easy to cut an all...

One other thing... The chase is about 30mm deep - what's the best thing to fill this up? I started using plaster but then someone said that was stupid and bonding would be easier...? Any tips? Is that just a diff type of plaster...

Sponsored Links
Thanks - but what about the coax? Is that OK?

Also, where do you buy bonding? Does it have another name... tried B&Q and Travis Perkins. All I could find was bonding compound (plasterboard adhesive).

Signal cable such as voice, data, TV such should have an air barrier of 50mm from any 240v circuit.

If the 240v is barrier protected such as conduit, ego tube or trunking then that is deemed as an effective barrier- So yes you can run it beside the cable in the tube. If any of the routes are exposed, do keep the 50mm barrier, avoid going in the same holes / notches and cross power cables at 90 deg.

I'd also suggest useing the best double screened co-ax you can find, single or twin depending on needs (twin is essential for Sky+ boxes).

Single PF100 is the base line.

Sponsored Links
Thanks jj4091... missed that, sorry. Any hints on where to get it?

Maybes I need to explain myself... i'm not talking about bonding plaster... my friend is Irish and the product he was on about is a lot lighter than plaster and drys really quickly even if you spread it on really thick... he decribes it as 'a bit like plaster but with granules in it - like sawdust or something - that mean it drys quick'... anyone got any hints? What's it called here?

It does sound like Bonding undercoat plaster to me - the granules are vermiculite. Older type of ucnercoat plaster had sand in it, and was called Browing - this was pretty heavy. Bonding is much lighter due to the vermiculite, and set pretty quickly.

The most common brand used to be Carlite Bonding, from British Gypsum. They have re-named their brands and it's now called Thistle Bonding:

http://www.british-gypsum.bpb.co.uk..._undercoat_plasters/thistle_bonding_coat.aspx

Travis-Perkins do stock this - I just found it on their web site.

You can also get a very light, one-coat plaster that sets (too) fast, and B&Q do stock that - but you can't get a very good finish with it.

oh ok, thanks.... that's what I was using! Guess when he suggested it he didn't really know what he was talking about. Thanks.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back