Electrician completed first fix - issues

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I've just had a look at my house where an electrician has just finished a first fix.

I've got a few issues, and I'd appreciate your thoughts.

He has put the wiring in conduit, but

- there are gaps in the conduit (some taped up, some not), so the cable will be exposed to the new plaster/filler.
- the conduit is not fixed to the wall, so moves freely in the chase
- much of the chasing is only deep enough for the conduit to sit just under the plaster

I'm not sure about the depth but am really concerned with the exposed cable and the loose conduit.

Should I be concerned?

ISBSg

https://imgur.com/a/KM8W7

https://imgur.com/a/EOOW8

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
What type of cable and conduit?
If it's twin & earth or similar, conduit is not required.

Its quite common to just have the cables straight in the plaster, the conduit is probably actually more of a cable cover than an actual conduit system, so doesn't matter if its not completely sealed.

Its quite common to just have the cables straight in the plaster, the conduit is probably actually more of a cable cover than an actual conduit system, so doesn't matter if its not completely sealed.

surely it does if wet material gets in there and goes hard it will no longer be sleevable? I thought that was it's primary purpose.

Sponsored Links
It won't be loose and neither will the cable if bonding plaster gets stuck in there surely ??..

It won't be loose and neither will the cable if bonding plaster gets stuck in there surely ??..
A lot just use the conduit for a bit of protection till its plastered in.
Others spend time and install it so that it can be reused and cables if needbe pulled in and out, but tends to only be straight runs, but to be honest would anyone ever need to do so nowadays.
Sealed rewirable systems like you have seemed to seize when singles stopped being used

To the op, it's all fine, although really the conduit should be secure. Once the plaster is on, it will be secure anyway.
To be honest I've no idea why they wasted time with conduit, as they could have just clipped to the wall and filled in the chases directly.
Also unfortunately hawk eye has a reputation for overconfidence and a lack of clarity, as well as a cavalier approach to regulations and safety, so it's up to you what you make of his comments.

The oval conduit keeps the stiff so they will not stick out of the plaster, it is often easier to plaster over the conduit to lose cables, but it's not really required.

Thanks for all the responses. Is there any problem with the depth of the chases? Below is a video with a walkthrough of the whole house, if anybody has a few minutes to spare :)

At 4:50, if the conduits going to be proud of the Chase (check with a straight edge) then it needs removing and the cable directly clipped or chase deepened. This needs checking/rectifying before the plasterer arrives.

Otherwise, aside from potentially being a bit on the boundary of compliance to concealed cable "safe zones" in the kitchen (cables should be horizontal or vertical of accessories unless on the edge/corners of walls) it looks like the electrician has done a good job.

The standard of instal is poor, although that in itself is irrelevant, because the plaster finish will hide it and hold it in place. My concern is why did'nt he do it properly, there is no reason for all those joints, the skill level in making the joints is pathetic, and why doesn't the conduit enter the ceiling and floor voids. I would be concerned about his other skills or lack of.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back