chased singles

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I Have chased and plastered "singles" cable for my living room sockets
when I did i just put capping on to them but I've been told that capping is not enough protection and that oval conduit is the preferred option??
In addition while chasing and capping one of the singles was not long enough so I used a twin and earth single core to extend it using ideal spliceline connector, the singles that were already there were stranded core

Is this acceptable of do i have to remove the plaster fit in oval conduit to the singles and also find a red stranded core cables

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Neither capping nor oval conduit offers protection, nor is any required.

As long as your singles have insulation and sheath all is well.
A single wire from some T&E is not good enough, nor is a splice-line connector, for burying in the wall.

If you've used the type of single intended for installation in conduit, eg:

https://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/CA2dot5SBR.html

then these are not sheathed and therefore it is not OK to bury them directly in the wall. They need to be in earthed steel conduit. Insulated and sheathed singles are hard to find in this size range.

Sponsored Links
This looks like your handywork, on the Screwfix site.?????

singles.jpg

You can not do that. Those singles are only suitable for installation in containment = trunking or conduit. They can NOT be buried in the wall.
Sorry, but you have a lot of work to re-do. You probably will have to rip it all out and start again with twin and earth cable.

If you've used the type of single intended for installation in conduit, eg:

https://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/CA2dot5SBR.html

then these are not sheathed and therefore it is not OK to bury them directly in the wall. They need to be in earthed steel conduit. Insulated and sheathed singles are hard to find in this size range.
Singles do not need to be in steel conduit. PVC is perfectly acceptable, or other forms of containment (e.g. trunking).

Singles do not need to be in steel conduit. PVC is perfectly acceptable, or other forms of containment (e.g. trunking).

Sorry, yes you are correct. I was thinking outside safe zones - but that applies to T&E too, of course. However, the main point stands - that unsheathed singles cannot be buried directly in the wall.

Does the OP know about safe zones? Nothing mentioned in his post about where the cables are running.

Thanks
~~that's the offending pic your correct Taylor
The cables were fed from below and sockets are horizontally across and just above the skirting
Aargh, the only reason I chased was because the trucking that was used had started to peal away and sag did not look good around the room in addition to surface mounted pattress boxes
Right so does it matter which conduit steal or PVC? and do they need to also be sheathed and then encased in conduit or is conduit adequately fine?
as for my other question does it matter that I used brown solid core (stripped from a t&e) to extend a red stranded core.?
( the splice line connector is not buried in the wall its in one of the back boxes )
Cheers for the replies guys

If you are very lucky, you may be able to pull the singles out and pull new twin and earth cables in through the capping, but you may need to make some damage.

It may not work at all - but worth a try perhaps.

How much of this kind of wiring is buried in the wall with capping over it?

You should have used 20mm PVC round conduit with all the appropriate fittings - or T+E cable. Oval conduit is not used with singles either.

To use round conduit means that i have to chase a little bit more on the single brick wall. is oval not good enough?

It would be slightly better - yet still wrong.

So unfortunately I couldn't recommend it.

Twin and earth cable wouldn't need to be as deep as 20mm round conduit - you could find a way to join the singles that ARE in round conduit to new T+E.

Send a few pics if you can, we usually come up with some brainwave.

Btw the red wire you extended sounds ok, as the joint in an enclosure, and the wires are adequately protected in the wall somehow.

It would be slightly better - yet still wrong.

So unfortunately I couldn't recommend it.

Twin and earth cable wouldn't need to be as deep as 20mm round conduit - you could find a way to join the singles that ARE in round conduit to new T+E.

Send a few pics if you can, we usually come up with some brainwave.
So so to join the singles to t&e that would then mean making a connection in a junction box which i thought cant be buried

You would have to do the joints in the back of a socket.

I'm just trying to work out if you could use oval tube...

It's not as tough as PVC 20mm round, yet otherwise not much different apart from fewer fittings available.

Could he get away with oval?

In my mind I just wouldn't, it seems a bit rough, yet I can't say for sure...

You can't get a nice bend or corner for a start, so that would potentially mean the cable could easily get damaged.

20mm round conduit is what you really want.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back