Cold air from bathroom extractor fan

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Our bathroom has an extractor fan which is connected to the light switch, so when you turn the light on/off, the fan goes on/off.
It works fine for getting steam out, but it lets so much cold air in. It’s literally like having a hole to the outside in the bathroom. You can feel the wind coming through it. I am completely incompetent with electrics and when I took the cover off to see if I could figure out what was going on, the first thing you see is all of the wiring, so I stopped and put it back. I thought I might be able to source a backdraft damper and fit it but I have no idea. I’m happy to get someone in to fix it, but my issue is, who do I ask? Surely not an electrician because like I said, it works fine, it’s like there’s a missing part. I don’t want to have to replace the whole thing but if I have to them fine. I just need to know if there is a correct tradesperson to contact about a fix or do we just need a new one?

Sponsored Links
I think the best idea would be to replace that fan with one that has backdraught shutters, although your outlet should have louvres fitted which do tend to rustle in the wind.
These are often electrically operated and open slowly......happily they don’t take up any more space than a conventional fan, and the wiring is the same - although the terminals won’t necessarily be in the same place.
John

Sponsored Links
I’m happy to get someone in to fix it, but my issue is, who do I ask?
If you're swapping the fan out for another that has a working shutter mechanism (so that when it is off air does not blow in) then any electrician will almost certainly have the required skills

If you want to do it yourself it won't be difficult but it would be wise to get the right tools, including a multimeter to check that the power to the fan has been disconnected when you flip the trip switch/pull the fuse for the lights. There will likely be just 3 wires you have to undo and reconnect; two that work to provide constant power (so the fan can run on when the light is off) and a third that has power when the light is on and not powered when the light is off (so the fan knows when to activate). They could be any colour but the existing fan should have some internal sticker or marking saying which wire goes where. Taking a picture of the whole setup before you start undoing anything, and also taking a picture of your new fan and posting both of them up here will allow us to tell you which wire goes where.

If you have two wires of the same colour it would be sensible, before you take your first picture, to mark one of them with a ring of contrasting colour from a sharpie or a bit of tape. If all 3 wires are the same colour, mark two of them with different markings so we can clearly explain which wire goes where

And then wonder why your bathroom ceiling went black and mouldy and your asthma got ten times worse? ;)

Has a single gravity flap, and the cowl provides weather protection.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back