Cold frame or greenhouse.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I started growing my own veg last year for the first time, and received some good advice on here, so am now looking for more. :)
When I did it last year I started with the proper plants, I would like to have a go at growing from seed this year.

I see there are mini greenhouses, and cold frames, are they the same,or is there a difference.

I dont want to go into production or anything lol, but want enough room to start off my vegs, and grow loads of bedding plants.

Also, can any seed be grown in a greenhouse/coldframe, or is it best to start them off in doors.

Sponsored Links
spice said:
I see there are mini greenhouses, and cold frames, are they the same,or is there a difference..

try standing up in a cold frame.

your best off to start them indoors on a windowsill or heated propogater, but they will grow in a coldframe etc, albiet more slowley. i usually start mine off indoors and then move them out into the mini greenhouses to harden them off. the mini greenhouses made of clear plastic about 5 feet tall are quite useful.

have a look at this link, and they are at a very ggo price. youll pay twice that in the sheds. i think they do them for the same price in the shops as well.
http://www.robertdyas.co.uk/webapp/...0351&showSubCategory=yes&top=Y&cache_entry=-1

Make sure the plastic sheet is held by weight, we have lost our in the last wind, never found it :LOL:

Sponsored Links
Thanks for replies, even your silly answer breezer, it did make me chuckle, as I was picturing myself standing up in a cold frame. :LOL:

Thermo, thanks for the link, Robert Dyas is doing them at a great price, but there is £5 delivery, and they deliver within five days, and I cant wait in the whole five days.
I have already had wars with a delivery that turned up without prior warning,(they were meant to ring) :rolleyes: caused me no end of grief.

Our local Wyvale has the same ones on offer at £19.99 instead of £29.99, and they are only up the road from me, so will pop along there at the weekend, they did have a little coldframe that sits on the ground, but there didnt seem to have a lot of room in it, and I thought for the money I may as well think about buying an upright mini greenhouse.

I dont want to go mad and grow everything, but I think I would need a tad more room than what they had in the coldframe.

Again thanks everyone, I'm sure I will be back for more advice. :D

Have a look in your local paper or exchange and mart for a second hand, decent sized greenhouse.

You might well find a bargain (buyer to collect etc)

Aluminium is the best imo, cus it doesnt need treating but others might recommend cedar for aesthetic and heat insulation properties.

Breezer aint being that daft when he mentions standing up. Its nice not to have to bend your back when tending your seedlings etc. also there is more room for a paraffin heater in a greenhouse, which is the next thing i would recommend.

breezer said:
spice said:
I see there are mini greenhouses, and cold frames, are they the same,or is there a difference..

try standing up in a cold frame.

Just finished digging 6 feet from the base of my cold frame,
Placed soil in Green house

SO NOW
WHICH IS WHICH :?:
:confused:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back