Cold house during the night

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
Just recently we have noticed that the temperature in our house is pretty cold during the night. This is our first winter in our new house. Our little boys thermostat says 15 degrees if I'm up for the toilet during the night. I know its not freezing but it is a bit chilly. Would anyone recommend leaving the heating on during the night but turning the thermostat down a bit, or would this just run up a massive bill?
Any help/experience would be grateful, thank you

Sponsored Links
You wimp, 15 degrees isn't chilly, throw a dressing gown on. Hell, I'm 64, have no heating in the house, and sleep in the raw, and I'm up and down to the loo quite a lot at my age.

What's you're loft insulation like; it should have 270mm, 100 in the joists, and 170 laid over; check that first. What's your thermostat like. If you have a programmable stat, then you could set the overnight temperature to 16 C. There are those that say that it's cheaper to keep the heating going, as once it's up to the required temperature, it then just need topping up, but I'm not convinced, so you'd need to run a test for a couple of weeks with the weather pretty much even, one week off at night, and the other week with it on.

Edit: Just checked the temperature in the living room, and it's 13.4C

When I was a small boy (& I ain’t THAT old), I used to stay over at my nan’s in Wood Green - well built houses but no CH. used to wake up on winter mornings with ice on the ‘inside’ of the windows!
When she used to ‘tuck me in’ at night, I think it was secret code amongst the adults for ‘tie me in’! - to this day, I’m unsure if this was to prevent me from fidgeting in the night until I shrugged the covers off, or to prevent me from breathing too deeply and thus increasing the ice build up on the panes!

Sponsored Links
I sleep in underwear and sometimes get up in middle of night to go toilet with nothing else on. My heating usually turns off at 9pm. To run heating all night just so going a toilet isn’t cold that’s if you even get up in my eyes is a bit bonkers.

15 DegC is just shy of 60DegF so certainly not cold. Just feels chilly when coming out from under a warm duvet. Do you not have a room thermostat? If so set it to a little warmer and let the system keep it like that.

Of course, heating on more means more gas burnt, so bill will be more and depending on how warm you want it will determine how large the bill will be, it will be wait and see how the bill is. Alternatively monitor the meter each week and convert it into Kw/h and then translate that into costs using your tariff so you know roughly the cost of how much you're using.

(Edit for a typo, it wasn't hilly ;))

Last edited:
Fit a programmable room thermostat so the heating comes on if it turns really cold overnight. That's what I did and it makes getting up in the night for a wee much more bearable.
I'm the same age as Doggit but clearly not as hardy!

I'm the same age as Doggit but clearly not as hardy!

Nor as stupid either. I suspect it's time I got the heating sorted out, but it's a great big house, and part of me suspects I'd have more issues going from hot into cold rooms.

Another oldie here -*Cold* was the '63 winter. That's when the water in the toilet bowl froze.;) Funny, I had doggit down as no older than 40:unsure:

My house is 13-15 degrees when unheated. CH comes on for 45 mins early AM then in the evening I use the wood burner in the lounge if I'm relaxing.

Its chilly but I'm not made of money....

Hi
Just recently we have noticed that the temperature in our house is pretty cold during the night. This is our first winter in our new house. Our little boys thermostat says 15 degrees if I'm up for the toilet during the night. I know its not freezing but it is a bit chilly. Would anyone recommend leaving the heating on during the night but turning the thermostat down a bit, or would this just run up a massive bill?
Any help/experience would be grateful, thank you

We live in a fairly modern reasonably insulated 4 bed house (built around year 2000) and our heating is always on. We have a hall thermostat and adjust it between 18-21 degrees (sometimes hotter) depending on whether we're out/in/sleeping. We also have thermostatic valves on our radiators so each individual room never gets hotter than we want. We find the structure of the house never gets really cold, therefore it doesn't take much to 'jag it up'. Our combined electric/gas bills are currently £78/month but that's because we overpaid a bit over the past year, they should be about £100.
BTW for some perspective we're out from, say, 6am - 2pm workdays, and generally in at other times, and we don't like a cold house.

I don't know how we survived the winter of 63, we had an outside loo and a tin bath that was used in the kitchen. What would happen if we had a winter that severe now? Chaos?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back