Cold House

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

im new to here this is my first post, im looking for advice.

My house is has always been cold it was built around 1900 and is solid brick there is no cavity wall insulation and its a detached property so all walls are open to all the elements. i

m thinking of putting some insulating boards inside the house to try and keep some heat in but not sure what to use. Can you give me any advice.

Im open to options.

Thanks

William

Sponsored Links
if the walls are plumb then foam backed plasterboard is an option..
or if you have fairlyt large rooms and don't mind losing 6 inches on each external wall then a 2x4 stud/batten wall stuffed with rockwool and faced with 50mm foam backed plasterboard is an option..

excellent idea with the boards.

I've just done away with the cold issue in a detached hose, by looking into the draught problem.

I found all the double glazed widows were in good nick, but the rubber seals, where the the window closes onto to, 'had kicked the bucket'. Quite simply, collapsed. Air was flying in on windy days, especially upstairs bedrooms.

one simply solution is to apply the following:

Self-adhesive foam strip.

For sealing around windows and doors. It is available in different colours. Damages easily though.

Self-adhesive rubber strip.

For sealing around windows and doors. It is available in different colours and is tougher and more hard-wearing than foam strips.

(don't forget to clean off the thin film of traffic grease on the window contacts) :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back