Insulation needed for old cottage

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Live in a pre 1900 cottage with solid brick walls. When updated in 2002 they built stud walls around the interior of the house about 18 inches from the solid walls creating a crawl space and no insulation. Just found this out after a bird got into the cavity and had to open the wall up to let it out. So whats the best method to insulate the back of the new stud wall so to give a good insulating level without casting a fortune. Insulating board? Insulating roll? insulating slab? Thermal wrap/quilt insulation?

Sponsored Links
I’d probably go for mineral wool of some sort. Use something stapled to the studs to hold it in place - though you’ll want it to be thicker than the depth of the studs, hmmm. If you try to use boards you’ll have trouble getting them in.

Considering the unusual working space, choose something that’s less unpleasant to handle; there is something called “Ecose”. Or wood fibre, or sheep’s wool.

Any idea why they left such a large space? What happens around window openings?

Wow, thats a lot of space to lose. I can only guess that there must have been serious damp issues for the studs not to be attached directly to the walls etc. I would put PIR board inside the stud frame. A bit tricky with access etc as you may have to remove some plaster.

If a bird could get in then I would be concerned about rodents setting up home if you make it cosy for them with any fluffy type of insulation.

Sponsored Links
If you do insulate then the outside walls of the house would be very cold, so you need to make sure no warm air from inside the house can get through gaps or cracks past the insulation as it will cause condensation. That would probably be a continuous plastic sheet on the warm side of the insulation.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back