Cold kitchen - hole in the internal wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,
we moved into the 70's detached house recently and when the winter came we noticed that some of the rooms are surprisingly cold, especially the kitchen. I had a peak under the plinths of kitchen cabinets and noticed a hole in the corner which seems to be only in the internal wall, and not through.
Anyone knows whether this hole has any purpose or can it be plugged, and if yes what would be the best way to seal it?
IMG_20211221_165225.jpg IMG_20211221_165613.jpg

Sponsored Links
If you can’t get decent access, the probably something like expanding foam. If you can, then polyfilla. Looks like it may have been for a wastepipe?

It looks to be a cavity wall, is it properly insulated?

Blup

It's actually a cavity wall that is not insulated, however, this is one of the options we are considering to improve the temperatures in the house as the entire downstairs is pretty cold.
As for the access, this is rather blocked by the cupboards and I can't even reach it with my stretched arm. I was thinking about the expanding foam but wasn't sure whether it will not cause any issues if it will fill the cavity itself when expanding?

Sponsored Links
Just a bit of rockwool pending full cavity wall insulation.

Blup

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back