condensation on my internal walls

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello just signed up so new to this. I have a problem with condensation on my internal wall. I have recently just put insulation down in our loft and also put up a stud wall in our front room. This was due to my partner always saying the house is cold. We noticed condensation marks on our wall which is down one side of the house. Does anyone have any advise as one of my nieghbours has said i need a new roof....The house was built in the mid 1950's...

Sponsored Links
If you have partitioned the room, then you have partitioned the airflow too and made any condensation problem worse

The only other advice is that the neighbours are probably wrong

Thanks for your reply. I contacted a friend of mine who knows a roofer who has just come round and said the roof is fine. Some very small jobs need doing but nothing is going to cause any problems. My next door neighbour who's a builder come and had a look as well and said that these house on our estate generally suffer with this problem, and you need to make sure you have good heating and good ventilation but it's nothing to worry about it;s just the way these houses were built.. The radiators we have are old and will need to be replaced that i know. So i am going to get a quote on rads, the plumber was going on about measuring the room to see what btu or btm radiators we need he kind of lost me. but seemed to know what he was going on about. Also going to get trickle vents fitted to the windows which i am told will help. What do you think.....

Sponsored Links
you don't drape wet washing around the house do you?

It does no harm to have oversized radiators in the house, I swapped most of my singles for doubles. If you have a modern boiler, it runs more efficiently at lower outputs for longer periods, and the bigger radiators also have enough power to heat up the house faster from cold.

If you are having new rads fitted, be sure to get Thermostatic Radiator Valves fitted as well, it will improve comfort and economy, and the extra labour is insignificant if done at the same time as the rads. You must have a room thermostat as well.

It's no good sizing radiators to the room if the property still has the perfect environment for condensation - ie cold walls, no air circulation, moisture not removed at source etc etc

Stop listening to your neighbour and the plumber, and read up on here or via google on condensation, it's causes and prevention.

You will be pretty peeved off after spending a few £000 on new heating to find out that the mould still comes back

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back