Hole in the wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

Recently had a boiler moved and this was the state of the wall behind it.

wall.jpg

The cement around the breeze block is quite soft and breaks with a prod. The circular breeze above it came out of the flue hole where the boiler moved to and we used it to plug in the old flue hole. This is currently loose along with the other small bit of breeze you can see.

I want to sort the mess out prior to boarding over and plastering. We plan on having a kitchen unit on that wall sometime soon.

What's my best approach?

I suppose its best to pull out the breeze block and old cement and start over. Cement that breeze back in, cement the circular breeze in and fill in the surrounding area?

What do you recommend I use?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Except trying to fill that with mortar will take several goes, as it'll slump unless you can get the mix right, so sand and cement at 1:4, set the block in place, and then Gob the rest of the hole up. But if you need solid fixings in the wall where the breeze block is, then change it for a cement block instead, or Gob the hole up in several goes.

Sponsored Links
Boiler fitters are not brick layers! When our builders came across an old boiler flue hole like the big one, they neatly bricked it up with standard bricks before they boarded it.

In your case the bad mortar is probably just because the edges dried out quicker and didn't go off.
However if you're boarding over no one will care what it looks like.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back