Cold loft with open chimney breast issue.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, so I’m trying to work out the best way to tackle this issue I have. We have an old unissued chimney breast which has been removed from downstairs and the roof but is still left in an upstairs room and partly in the loft. My issue with this is my house is getting really cold in the winter and really hot in the summer, I’m guessing with the chimney breast being open under the second floor floorboards and being open in the loft that the draughts from the attic is flowing through my house. I was thinking of blocking the chimney in the loft but I’ve read that it needs to stay ventilated?

Sponsored Links
I have exactly the same thing in my house. I just have a panel over the top of the chimney in the loft. Been like that since 1992. No problems.

I have exactly the same thing in my house. I just have a panel over the top of the chimney in the loft. Been like that since 1992. No problems.
Was thinking about stuffing it with something like a chimney sheep or abit of insulation board. You had any issues with the sulphate salts on the wall on the second floor? I didn’t notice it when purchasing the house due to the walls being white, but now I’ve painted the wall a light grey I notice two small patches that look wet but aren’t to touch.

Sponsored Links
Have you thought abut removing the remaining section of chimney breast?

Liquidised flue chemicals can form and penetrate brickwork no matter where the c/breast is located.

Have you thought abut removing the remaining section of chimney breast?

Liquidised flue chemicals can form and penetrate brickwork no matter where the c/breast is located.
Yea this was the idea eventually.

Well, in the meantime you could hack out any bad bits on the bedroom chimney breast & patch it back up with a small bag of sand and cement from a plumbers supplies.

Fwiw: I doubt that the remaining c/breast is more than marginal in your cold/heat problems but blocking the fireplace opening for a year or two should be ok.

When you are ready to remove the c/breast then come back here.

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back