Venting a loft through the chimney?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
As an alternative to installing vented tiles and the associated expense, would it be feasible to ventilate the loft by removing one or two bricks from the chimney breast as it runs through the loft space? Obviously the chimney is unused so there is no danger of co2 leaking anywhere. I can't see any draw backs and wonder what people think of this idea. My loft currently has 70% humidity and desperately needs ventilation!

Sponsored Links
I don't think it would be very effective because :

a) It is only in one place and not several as per tiles
b) The venting effect caused by wind blowing across the open mouth would be less with chimney as the space caused by removed bricks would be much further away.

Definitely a no.
You must not remove bricks from a c/b except ( for ventilation ) at a bricked up fire-opening.
The c/b is disused now but some future occupier might re-use the flue's and fumes could enter the loft and then any sleeping space below.

You should investigate how the humid air is entering the loft. Search on this and other sites.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back