Fumes from Kitchen Extrator in Loft soloutions

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

Just had some remedial roofing work done (after a neighbors builder did a chimney stack removal) and found that the chimney stack had been left exposed and that the pipe which was running from the flue pipe (supposed to be an outlet for fumes from the kitchen extractor) was not connected to anything so fumes were going out into the loft.

In order to fix this there has been 2 solutions suggested to me.

Firstly
Establish if a flexi pipe, would go from the extractor fan in the kitchen to the vented tile in the roof.

The neighbors builder (who under the party wall agreement is resolving the various issues) has said that this might not be possible, because the chimney meanders through the floors.
Just wondering if this a good excuse, or is this just a ploy to make the job easier for him.

If so how do I establish if the chimney meanders as he says (he insist that this is the case)

His solution is that

The chimney stack that is exposed in the loft is leveled,
Slates are fitted in the gaps, to block off the chimney, but there will be a hole for a soil pipe to go through, that would be sealed using a soilpipe cover. cement at the base of the cover, and silicon at the top of the soilpipe cover. The soil pipe would then go from the where the chimney has been level up to the Tile vent.

So basically he is saying the fumes would travel up the rest of the chimney up to that point and the outlet would be this soil pipe in the loft connecting to the tile vent. Is this correct?

I would have though it is better to have the first option, but I would appreciate some advice if the second solution is ok as an alternative.

I really would appreciate any comments or solutions or ideas

Some pics are below:

Sponsored Links
Perhaps a pic of the kitchen extractor and kitchen c/breast opening - is there an appliance in place in the kitchen c/breast fire opening?

Do any other flues lead into that open, loft c/breast?

When was your chimney stack lowered?

Sometimes Tech departments of flue liner companies etc. are excellent for practical advice.

Perhaps a pic of the kitchen extractor and kitchen c/breast opening - is there an appliance in place in the kitchen c/breast fire opening?

Do any other flues lead into that open, loft c/breast?

When was your chimney stack lowered?

Sometimes Tech departments of flue liner companies etc. are excellent for practical advice.

I have attached the pics of the extractor and the chimney stack in the kitchen.

There are no other flues in the chimney

The stack was lowered in Feb 19th 2013

Thanks for any advice !!!

1. If the stack was recently lowered, how come nothing was done, so to speak, at that time to provide a safe and stable termination?
Who lowered the stack and why?

2. Do you have any gas fires anywhere in the property?
Have any chimney breasts been removed in the past?

3. Is the flex flue liner made of metal? And does it rise in one single piece to the loft?

4. Have you considered replacing the in-place cooker hood for a more powerful modern extractor with a recirculating filter?

Sponsored Links
1. If the stack was recently lowered, how come nothing was done, so to speak, at that time to provide a safe and stable termination?
Who lowered the stack and why?

2. Do you have any gas fires anywhere in the property?
Have any chimney breasts been removed in the past?

3. Is the flex flue liner made of metal? And does it rise in one single piece to the loft?

4. Have you considered replacing the in-place cooker hood for a more powerful modern extractor with a recirculating filter?

My next door neighbors builders, as they were building a loft extension. They asked for permission. I gave it, however it seems that their builders have done a botched job. first with roof (which has been resolved) and now with the kitchen extractor and the outlet for that.

There are no gas fires in the property

Not sure what the flue liner is made out of, and there is nothing that rises to the roof.

Sure if the problem is easier to fix this was, then it might be an option, if it is a cheaper option than resolving the current problem.

1. Perhaps replacing the extractor is the most convenient way to go. It will certainly be the cheaper option.
But how come you will have to pay? This is down to your neighbour or their builder.

2. that open c/breast in the loft contains at least two flues - find out where all and any of the flues in your property starts and finishes.
There are safety issues here, if not for you, then for any future owner of the house.
Smoke testing will show whats what.

Suggest that you remove the duplicate post in roofing forum.

AAMOI: the second pic shows a plastic flex - that appears to be insecurely fixed to the ext. ie staining is present.

1. Perhaps replacing the extractor is the most convenient way to go. It will certainly be the cheaper option.
But how come you will have to pay? This is down to your neighbour or their builder.

2. that open c/breast in the loft contains at least two flues - find out where all and any of the flues in your property starts and finishes.
There are safety issues here, if not for you, then for any future owner of the house.
Smoke testing will show whats what.

I basically getting the work done, and then will have to chase the neighbour for the cost.

I thought about asking about a Recirculating extractor, as it seems the simplest, but I was told that for heavy cooking, they are not the best option, and they dont suck out moisture. Is that correct?

I dont have any fire places in the property and the only thing that uses the chimney would be the Kitchen. How would I run a smoke test from there?

Thanks for all your advice, really appreciate it :) I tried to delete the post from the roofing section but could figure out how to do it.

1. moderators will remove the post if you alert them.

2. Yes, a powerful recirculating ext. They are second place options but consider the cost and work of the alternatives. If you go this route then block off the inlet to the liner.

3. Someone who knows what to do ( plumber or c/sweep ) would conduct the test.
In what now seems to be the scheme of things, it's not that urgent.

1. moderators will remove the post if you alert them.

2. Yes, a powerful recirculating ext. They are second place options but consider the cost and work of the alternatives. If you go this route then block off the inlet to the liner.

3. Someone who knows what to do ( plumber or c/sweep ) would conduct the test.
In what now seems to be the scheme of things, it's not that urgent.

Thanks, if you were doing this for your own property what course of action would you take, and what type of professionals should I be asking for to to this job.

Thanks for all you help !!!

1. I'd go for the recirculation ext.

2. Leave well alone ref the liner and c/breast.

3. Fitting the ext. is a DIY job.
You might even have a dual vent/recirculation appliance in position. Check the model with the manual.

1. I'd go for the recirculation ext.

2. Leave well alone ref the liner and c/breast.

3. Fitting the ext. is a DIY job.
You might even have a dual vent/recirculation appliance in position. Check the model with the manual.

Thank you so much for your advice, much appreciated!!!! :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back