Cold Outside Walls

Do what you like. You won't listen to good advice anyway. Don't know what you are doing here really. :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
Thats a bit harsh joe-90.

The suggestions here have been to use insulated plasterboards, which i am doing, I have read the manufacturers instructions which suggest that the kingspan K18 boards can be mechanically fixed onto masonry but require assistance with the type of fixings needed as the instructions are vague about this.

I do not believe this to be an unreasonable question and have asked a number of questions as I have wanted to find out the alternatives.

My house is well decorated and furnished apart from this one wall, which has been plastered and is therefore straight, hence some of the suggestions, i.e. hacking off plaster or removing rubble by taking bricks off are impractical for me due to the mess it would create in the room and I apologize if it has sounded like I am not listening to good advice but have simply looked for the best way to insulate the wall in my current circumstances.

As always, all suggestions are appreciated.

Walls are straight and have read the recommendations but they do not state what fixings to use. For example will frame screws like the ones below hold it in place?

http://www.screwfix.com/p/rawlplug-pa6-nylon-frame-fixings-10-x-100mm-pack-of-50/39351[/QUOTE]

Assuming these are screw-in, then I'm sure as a fixing they are fine.
I've used the hammer type ones on some skirting board recently and were generally ok, but where it needed a bit more 'pull', they didn't seem to deliver and I ended up unscrewing it and refixing with a decent screw. There is also the fact that the blocks in the wall are not solid and if going in to a void part, it limits the contact between plug & block. Which may be a factor for you also. Personally, where the usage you are considering, I would prefer it to be a secondary fixing, rather than the primary.

Still on the dry wall addy topic - adhesive can be applied continuously around board edges, window frames etc which allows a solid outer edge. Useful for skirting board fitting for example.
For me, for £5/bag of adhesive it's a no brainer. I would use it anyway. After I've taken the time to skim the full room, paint, fit my carpets - I would not want to have to refix a board later.
You are of course free to make up your own mind. I may only be a DIYer, but you've had a lot of good advice from seasoned pros on this forum so I hope you at least carefully consider it.
Good luck with the project.

The one wall, which has been plastered and is therefore straight, As always, all suggestions are appreciated.
grizzly did you do as i suggested get a straight edge on the wall? just because its been plastered and looks straight it don't mean to say it is, if your going to use this method put a straight edge against the wall to check and see if there are any dips also is there a window on this wall with reveals? if so put your straight edge round them also and see if the reveals and walls are straight in every direction do this and tell us what you find unless you have done it already

Sponsored Links
My house is well decorated and furnished apart from this one wall, which has been plastered and is therefore straight, hence some of the suggestions, i.e. hacking off plaster or removing rubble by taking bricks off are impractical for me due to the mess it would create in the room and I apologize if it has sounded like I am not listening to good advice but have simply looked for the best way to insulate the wall in my current circumstances.

As always, all suggestions are appreciated.

I think I was typing my other post when you had updated.

I can understand not wanting to go back to brick, if plaster below is ok. I'm sure you could still use some adhesive on top of your existing wall (so long as the surface you're going on to is suitable e.g. bare plaster, emulsion painted etc, but not wall papered for example).

Edit - think alastairreid suggested this earlier for you

The insulated plasterboards are now up and skimmed, ended up using insulated plasterboard directly onto wall using dot and dab.

One final question, would it be an issue if I used vinyl wallpaper to decorate this wall or do I need to use to breathable paper/ paint? I ask this as there is a vapour barrier that has been created using the insulated plasterboards.

You can use vinyl paper if you want as long as the wall has dried out.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back