mould growth on exterior walls, advice needed.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello, the box room of my house has two exterior walls and I am getting condensation and mould growth in the corner of those two walls. It's an old house with solid brick walls, no cavities.

My idea is to batten those two walls, insulate inbetween then plasterboard over and skim. Would this be an acceptable solution? The two interior walls would not be boarded and would remain as they are as they are not affected.

Thanks, lee.

Sponsored Links
Sounds reasonable. Insulated plasterboard will reduce the cold wall temperature of the outside wall and reduce mould and condensation. Even one of the thinner ones will have a useful effect. Otherwise you can do as you suggest, stud out insulate and board. Keep a useful airgap between the wall and stud/board.

What do you mean by useful airgap? Shouldn't I pack the cavity with insulation?

Also, how do I go about the window opening? Should that be boarded aswell? How would the corners going into the opening work?

Thanks.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back