Cold radiator in attic

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi I've searched all the pages and can't find an exact answer to this issue.

We have a sealed heating system with the hot water tank on the third floor and the boiler on the second. At the moment we have one radiator in the attic room (highest radiator) and it won't fully heat up. It is warm at the bottom but not as hot as the other radiators. I've tried to bleed it and open the valve and no air or water came out for 5 minutes. I then swapped the valve for a one way valve to allow air to pass out automatically but it hasn't made a difference.

Does it sound like an air block? Should i drain and refill the system? The boiler has been serviced and is a good size for the property but i forgot to ask the plumber when he was here!

Any help would be massively appreciated. Thanks

Steve

Sponsored Links
Is this a new issue, or has it always been a problem? What’s the pressure like?

We moved into the house about 18 months ago and it has always seemed to be an issue. I thought it was just air as it's the top radiator which is why i put the auto vent in. The pressure is 1.5 bar. thanks

Sponsored Links
Turn all rads off on 1 side trv is easiest if you got it and see if it heats up. And did you actually get the air out so water came out

Hi so i turned off all the radiators bar the problem one and turned the heating on. The bottom of the radiator was roasting but the top was still just luke warm at best. I left it for 30 mins but no change. I then loosened the auto air valve (where the bleeding nipple was) to see if water or air or something would come out and nothing did. You could literally loosen the valve all the way (which may not be best practice with air coming in etc!!) and nothing was coming out even when the heating was on and the radiator for the bottom half was boiling. Is the radiator blocked? Would it help if i just drained the whole system? Should i change the radiator?

Many thanks for your help

Shut off both valves, drain and remove the radiator then open the valve on each side into a bucket and check that there is good pressure on the flow and return. If you're not getting any air/water pressure at the rad's bleed screw then there's a blockage somewhere, or it's not piped correctly.

Just close off the valves, crack the nuts and bleed and drain the rad, leave it where it is and try opening each valve first.

You could try tapping the radiatorhave you checked the valves yet to make sure you get water out them both!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back