Cold Radiator - thwarted

Sponsored Links
if that is a question related to earlier in the thread - yes I did.

If it is related to the mains flush, then to start with there was an extra rad open, and then I remembered to close it like I said. but now it doesnt seem to close at all, ( it turns to close, but the rad still gets very hot) so I need to do some work on that rad too - maybe it always did let flow through when turned off - I dont know.

Why? does it indicate something ?

If I was a gambling man I'd bet my shirt on a blockage (hardened sludge) at a joint in the plastic, or the copper to plastic.
I had to repipe an extension a couple of weeks ago due to the same problem, virtually impossible to acces the plastic so put in new copper. Been going on for months, people trying to balance, clear air etc, almost identical prob to yours.

Sponsored Links
Well the room is toasty warm - for 3 days since the last intervention. Its still slow to heat up, and I know its not reaching its maximum temperature, but it will do.

Thank you all for your advice and suggestions, which have chipped away at this problem, and given a novice the confidence to tackle installing a rad, cutting copper, fitting compression joint, bleeding a pump and so on for the first time. It is immeasurably better than it was 4 weeks ago, and a lot of fun on the way.

TWgas - there is one spot where the plastic horizontal joins a copper vertical, which is inaccessible under the tiles. the copper rises 6 inches into the valve for the radiator. The next time I have the rad off ( and I know I will - its like picking a scab) , I will have a careful scratch around inside that copper rise with something long and pointy - see if there is some build up at that plastic elbow. Thanks for the idea.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back