Cold radiators - no bleed valves...?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone
I live in a flat with a Saunier Duval Thelia 23 gas combination boiler. Im certain I have air trapped in the system as the boiler makes a lot of hissing noises and most of the radiators are cold at the top. My problem is I cant seem to find any bleed valves on the radiators - I know where they should be located, but they just arent there. All I can find is a drain valve located at the bottom inlet pipe of one of the radiators - however opening this does nothing - no air or water comes out. Any ideas? Im desperate as its bloody cold! Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
Feel over the back, top left corner, for a bump, which is a cap covering the vent. Now you'll see the ones on the rear panels?

Ahhh! Brilliant, thanks guys. No caps, but flush with the back side of the radiator. Loads of air coming out now - its a strangely satisfying experience :)

Sponsored Links
One more thing... plenty of air has come out of each radiator, but no water. The escaping air just fizzles out. Is this normal? I was under the impression that as soon as water started trickling out I should tighten the valve again, but it hasnt happened (obviously I tightened the valves again anyway). Does this mean there is still water trapped in the system? Cheers

nice one, thanks

Still managed to break my heater though. I pressurised it in increments to avoid having to drain it and suddenly the in-pipe stopped working. Think the screwdriver valve must have broken. Also the boiler has started leaking a bit - not heavily, just a drip every 10 seconds or so. And no I cant start it up :(

Have had to call an engineer. Still, my fault for not having it serviced for the last 3 years I guess :confused:

Try to find a saunier duval that doesn't leak they are made of plastic & that reversing valve is a buggar to change

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back