Cold room. Bigger radiator? Or just a more modern one?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Evening folks. I need to get a new radiator for a bedroom as the one in there at the moment isn’t quite heating the room enough (as well as having to bleed it every two or so days). I was just looking for a bit of advice really.

The radiator currently in there is a single (non-convector) type, 600mm high, 1200mm length (and I’d say at least 25 years old).
According to the BTU calculators I’ve looked at, I’m going to need around 7000BTU for the room in question. The room itself is 2.8 metres wide (and the same in height) and 5 meters long. But it does have 2 exterior walls, has a large sash window, and it is north facing.

I don’t know how many BTU the current radiator is throwing out, so I’m not sure whether to get the same sized replacement from someone like Stelrad (I’d probably get a double convector). I’m sure radiators must have become more efficient since the old one currently hanging up was fitted. Or should I get an even bigger one (say 1800mm x 600mm) to make sure the room will be nice and toasty.

It occurred to me half way through writing this that it sounds pretty daft as only I’ll be able to tell how hot/cold the room gets, but I know from the thermometer in there that it can get as cold as 16/17° at night, which is cold for a child's bedroom.

Perhaps just getting a similar sized but more modern replacement would do the trick?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Sponsored Links
Where to start? (My grumpy time of day I'm afraid).

If you are bleeding the rad that regularly then you have an air ingress or corrosion problem which is slowly killing the system.

Is the current radiator hot (when its full of water). If so and the room is still cold then yes. I have not done any calculations or checked any charts but sticking a double convector rad of that size would make a huge difference.

16/17 degrees at night is plenty warm enough.
:rolleyes:

If you want a new radiator same size as current around 7000Btu this is what you will be needing, this is from Plumb Centre.

HRSA.jpg

Selected Product: 200636

Description ELITE 600MM X 36 SEC K2 1200MM 7280B
7280 BTU/H 2134 WATTS - BG3032 PN3032
RAD3032
Retail Price (ex VAT) £238.70
Retail Price (inc VAT) £274.51

Or get the same rad from Screwfix for £64.98. Don't know how Plumb Center ever sell any rad's at those prices.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for your input.

After recalculating sizes, I think I'm going to need a higher output.

I've found a brand called Biasi who do a 600mm x 1200mm - with an output of 8473 BTU. So I wont need to get a bigger sized one after all.

Does anyone know if this is as powerful as they get for this size? I can't imagine they are able to get that much more powerful without getting bigger.

Thanks in advance.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back