Cold/slow-heating radiator

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello

Our bathroom radiator has started to not get warm or only get slightly warm very slowly. The radiator is upstairs and is the closest to the boiler on the upstairs run.

It is a chrome, ladder-type towel radiator and the pipe sometimes gets hot before the flow valve but the rest of the radiator is cold or luke warm. It doesn't have TRVs and both valves are wide open and don't get routinely adjusted, so I don't think it is a sticking valve.

Things tried so far:
1. Bleeding, no air in it.
2. Getting the heating hot then closing the valves on all other radiators - seemed to solve the problem for a few days, even when I open the rest of the valves the radiator worked, but now it has stopped working again.
3. Re-balancing the other radiators - all other radiators in the house get hot and I have tried turning down the lock shield valves, but that hasn't helped.
3. I added a new radiator to the system 18 months ago and put a chemical cleaner through the system and flushed it through and added inhibitor when I re-filled.

I am guessing the likely cause is sludge build up? Could it be the inside of the radiator failing and blocking? I am wondering what to try next, would it be worth replacing the radiator or do I need to get the get the system power flushed?

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
It is a copper system, combi boiler, but to this radiator it is flexible pipes, like tap pipes.

The flow pipe gets hot, as does the valve, but just above the valve at the start of the radiator it is cooler and then cools quickly away from the valve.

Sponsored Links
It is a copper system, combi boiler, but to this radiator it is flexible pipes, like tap pipes.

The flow pipe gets hot, as does the valve, but just above the valve at the start of the radiator it is cooler and then cools quickly away from the valve.

If its flexible hoses then the internal bore of these will be tiny, around 6mm. Ideally replace with proper pipework or spend an hour balancing your system out. Flexibles really shouldn't be used to pipe radiators as they are not designed for that and have a very high rate of premature failure.

Jon

Thanks Jon. The flexible pipes had been used before we moved in, one of many 'interesting' jobs that had been done in the house. Unfortunately replacing them will require taking up the laminate floor in the bathroom, which will require the bath and toilet to come out.

Again, thanks.

Thanks Jon. The flexible pipes had been used before we moved in, one of many 'interesting' jobs that had been done in the house. Unfortunately replacing them will require taking up the laminate floor in the bathroom, which will require the bath and toilet to come out.

Again, thanks.

Multi tool, a decent blade a bit of filler and a bit of patience and you would be able to sort it if you wanted to. No need to remove bath and toilet come at it from below and patch in the ceiling. (assuming a plasterboard ceiling and you have access from below!)

Jon

Sadly can't get to it from below, there is an RSJ underneath where the chimney breast has been taken out in the kitchen, but left in the bathroom above. Will have to see whether I can take off the skirtings and pull up enough of the laminate to cut the floorboards and get access.

Any chance of some pictures and we might be able to come up with some ideas that will help you out.

Jon

Here are photos of the radiator, the flexible pipe and the the position in the bathroom

Attachments

• IMG_0384.JPG
    IMG_0384.JPG
    147.1 KB · Views: 271
  • IMG_0385.JPG
    IMG_0385.JPG
    77.1 KB · Views: 295
  • IMG_0386.JPG
    IMG_0386.JPG
    137.5 KB · Views: 283
Thanks.

That confirms my worst fears.

Almost the worst DIY bodge that I have even seen in terms of just how problematic it will be to correct it.

To do a proper repair from the bathroom will need breaking up and then relaying perhaps 2-4 tiles. IF matching tiles can still be obtained. Probably at a cost of £200-£400 !

I think my best advice will be to try to live with it and to ensure the boiler system pressure is kept as low as reasonably possible.

Tony

Thanks.

That confirms my worst fears.

Almost the worst DIY bodge that I have even seen in terms of just how problematic it will be to correct it.

To do a proper repair from the bathroom will need breaking up and then relaying perhaps 2-4 tiles. IF matching tiles can still be obtained. Probably at a cost of £200-£400 !

I think my best advice will be to try to live with it and to ensure the boiler system pressure is kept as low as reasonably possible.

Tony

Its not tiles its a laminate Tony. The boards will be about 7mm thick and have a locking edge on them. If you can find an area where you can start to slide them apart then it may not be too hard to start lifting to get at the pipe work. Shower panel off at the bottom and see if there is any room for movement.

Jon

Here are photos of the radiator, the flexible pipe and the the position in the bathroom

What's behind the wall with the towel rail on it? If it's a bedroom and not an exterior wall, I would try and access the heating pipes from there. Bring them up into the bedroom, chase them into the wall and then 90 degree them through the wall, into the bathroom. Then raise the towel rail and get it fed through the wall, from the bedroom - if there's a bedroom there!

If not... floor up in that area of the bathroom and get rid of those damn flexis :eek:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back