Cold spot on radiator after bleeding

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have a radiator on the top floor of my home that keeps getting a cold patch a day or so after bleeding it. It starts top right and slowly moves across the rad.

Any thoughts or suggestions of anything else I could check before I call on a heating engineer?

Air must be getting into the system somewhere and it just happens to accumulate in that rad (highest and/or furthest away?)

Thanks!
Ian

Sponsored Links
Any thoughts from anyone else? I spoke with a central heating engineer and they suggested trying a silicon based sealant product they can add via the header tank that may or may not help.

Sponsored Links
Hi,

I have a radiator on the top floor of my home that keeps getting a cold patch a day or so after bleeding it. It starts top right and slowly moves across the rad.

Any thoughts or suggestions of anything else I could check before I call on a heating engineer?

Air must be getting into the system somewhere and it just happens to accumulate in that rad (highest and/or furthest away?)

Thanks!
Ian
You say keeps getting a cold spot every time you bleed it so by that I’m assuming your constantly needing to bleed the rad,is it just this rad that does it ? Are all the other rads ok?

You say keeps getting a cold spot every time you bleed it so by that I’m assuming your constantly needing to bleed the rad,is it just this rad that does it ? Are all the other rads ok?

That's correct, all other rads remain piping hot. If I bleed the radiator in question a few days later the cold patch starts growing starting at the top left. Based on location I'd say it's the highest point in the system.

?Failed shaft seal on pump sucking in air?

This is probably the point at which I've reached my limitations as a layman!

Our boiler is 19 years old so we were already considering whether to replace it, so would probably include a new pump at the same time.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back