Cold tap problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am no good at DIY but wondered if there was an easy way of doing this job. My cold tap on my bath, only turns a couple of time, it's very stiff and the water doesn't come out very quickly, in fact it is very slowly :eek: . With the hot tap you can turn it much more easily. Is this a job for a plumber or would I be able to fix it without flooding the house :rolleyes: I would appreciate any help in laymans language please.

Sponsored Links
you can do it yourself.
just make sure you isolate the cold water first ie mains feed or tank feed
to the tap.

You can buy things called 'tap inserts' which effectively replace the part of your tap which is hard to turn.
You can see the insert when the tap cover is removed - they are usually held on by a philips screw.
The insert is unscrewed from the body of the tap using an adjustable spanner. It may be tight!
Take the old one with you to match it when you go to B&Q or wherever, and ask an assistant if its the correct one.
If the old insert can't be matched it can be dismantled, cleaned, lubed and rebuilt but thats slightly more complicated.
Just make sure the water supply is turned off before you start and hold the tap firmly so it doesn't start to turn when you try to undo the insert.
John :)

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back