Cold wall in bedroom

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

We shifted our sons bedroom around the other day and were shocked to find black mould / stains on one wall behind the bed. It's an (almost) external wall that is cold.

The bedroom is above the garage and 1/3 of the bedroom ceiling slopes down as it's the underside of the garage roof. The ceiling slopes down to a wall that's approx 3' high x 3m long. This is the cold wall. I assuming that behind this wall is the remainder of the roof space that's just been boarded up hence the coldness on the other side.

There's no access into this space so was going to fix vertical battens, 50mm Celotex then foil backed plasterboard. Are there any easier things we could try first? Is this correct? Could i cut in 2 louvre vents (1 either side of the bed)?

I want to chop a hole in the wall and do the same from the other side instead but my partner is against it as the spiders may come in

The room is well ventilated and heated.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Black mould can cause health problems good you uncovered it

It might be ventilated but clearly there is no circulation behind the bed against the cold wall.

You say the room is being re-arranged, is the bed still staying where it is? Because if not and the wall is uncovered, and you say there is ventilation in the room, the problem is likely to go away.

Humidity is causing the problem in the room, feeding the mould, perhaps running a de-humidifier periodically will help?

Black mould can cause health problems good you uncovered it

It might be ventilated but clearly there is no circulation behind the bed against the cold wall.

You say the room is being re-arranged, is the bed still staying where it is? Because if not and the wall is uncovered, and you say there is ventilation in the room, the problem is likely to go away.

Humidity is causing the problem in the room, feeding the mould, perhaps running a de-humidifier periodically will help?

Thanks. It wasn't good to look at, pretty worrying really but the wall is nice and clean now. We'll try the dehump option too. We've rearranged the room slightly so there's now 1' between the bed and wall :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back