cold water tank over flow

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all before christmas I noticed water dripping from my overflow so up in the loft I went and sure enough the float was under the water the cylinder was very old a plumber friend said it could be the central heating coil leaking and filling the tank so I fitted a new tank and a part2 float valve. 2 days later the same thing happens water from the overflow so basically all new stuff and fittings same problem its an Ideal mexico 2 boiler very old but brilliant. the old tank has never had a tank stat so I didn't fit 1 the hot water is back filling into the cold tank that directly above the cylinder with the central heating tank between them. The tank is an indirect and vented. thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Do you have any mixer taps ,or shower mixers ,that are fed with cold mains water ? If you do ,the mains cold water may be getting into the hot water pipework .
Did you fit a new hot water cylinder ,or was it a new loft tank ?

Hi Terry thanks for your reply. Downstairs there is a mixer tap in the kitchen that is fed directly from the mains I fitted a new shower which is the new mixer type. When I first installed the shower the pressure was bad so I removed the shower restrictors on the hot then later the cold to which helped the pressure but it's still nowhere as good as the old power shower I fitted when I moved in 14 years ago a gainsborough that had a built in pump that would remove your skin that was never used in fact I removed the power as if you didn't tell guest they turned it on lol.

1578898705336599132255790165487.jpg

Sponsored Links
Hi Terry thanks for your reply. I have a mixer tap in the kitchen downstairs that runs off mains, I fitted a new shower before Christmas a mixer type the hot and cold run off the the bathroom sink. The cold tank is in the loft I guess within 2 meters the heating tank between the 2.

Is the shower fed with mains cold water ? Or the bathroom sink ? Somewhere mains cold is getting into the hot pipework ,into the cylinder and back filling the loft tank.

It feeds off the bathroom sink which isn't a mixer tap before the old shower was feed from the bath supply which came from the cold water tank mmmm so if its fed from mains how would it get into the hot water ?. Thanks

On some mixer taps and shower valves the hot and cold can come together within their body's. As the cold mains is at much greater pressure than your gravity fed hot water ,the mains cold can get into the hot pipework.

So if I change the pipe work back to it being fed from the loft we should stop this problem ? Herts I cant reply to your reply I fitted the tank hence why it's not that neat lol.

So if I change the pipe work back to it being fed from the loft we should stop this problem ? Herts I cant reply to your reply I fitted the tank hence why it's not that neat lol.
Not sure which pipework you refer to ?
What exactly is connected to mains cold ?

Originally when I fitted the first shower the pipe work came down from the loft and fed from the cold tank but because I didnt want pipes from the ceiling I took a tee from the sink on both hot and cold and I'm guessing the cold is mains. I'm wondering what if I put the restrictor back in the shower for the cold a lot quicker job than replumbing the water.

The restrictor that you refer to ,could it have been a non return valve ?
Easy way to find out what is connected to the cold mains ,turn off main stopcock ,and see which cold outlets don't give water !

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back