Cold water tank refill noise

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Recently had a problem with our ball cock in cold water tank. It wouldn't shut off and consequently went to overflow, turns out the overflow was poorly installed so we had a nice leak onto the loft floor!

Replaced ball cock and refitted overflow pipework so it should now seal.
Have a new noise now when cold water tank refills, I've uploaded the video here:
https://gofile.io/?c=18eKEn

It's like a spluttering type noise, like air in the system maybe? No other mains fed taps display this behaviour, only cold water refill. Noise is there on every refill and hasn't gone away in the two weeks since the refit.

Any ideas on what it might be and how to fix it please?

Sponsored Links
It sounds like (and I could be wrong) that as the tank is near to full, the float is bouncing and the valve is opening and almost closing. Is the noise constant or only when the tank has been filling for a few minutes?

can't watch your video. Site fails security checks.

Are you in a foreign country?

Have you got a link that shows the ballcock you fitted? Is it a high pressure one?

It sounds like (and I could be wrong) that as the tank is near to full, the float is bouncing and the valve is opening and almost closing. Is the noise constant or only when the tank has been filling for a few minutes?

Yes you might be right, I think it starts right at the end of the fill so maybe the valve is bouncing.

Have you got a link that shows the ballcock you fitted? Is it a high pressure one?

Can't be certain but think it was this:
https://www.diy.com/departments/fluidmaster-brass-float-fill-valve-pt1-1-2-/5011629016902_BQ.prd

Sponsored Links
Oh! Thanks for the heads up

Post back if you change the valve and the problem still persists or if you don't need to change the valve and need further help - there are very simple solutions to float-bounce

Post back if you change the valve and the problem still persists or if you don't need to change the valve and need further help - there are very simple solutions to float-bounce

The valve is wrong. Will need to change it for part 2.
Thanks very much for the information, I didn't know.

To avoid float bounce, is there something that should be done when fitting part 2? I gather part 2 can be adjusted where as part 1 can't (other than bending the arm).

Bit of a delay to fit the valve, sorry.

I fitted it today, float at lowest position. Fill much quieter and other noise gone.

Thanks for your help and suggestions

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back