Cold Water tap Slamming.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have just replaced my Bathroom sink and my new sink has a monoblock tap. All is fine except when you turn the cold water off the tap slams/bangs and makes the whole house pipework bang. If you turn the tap on slowly at a certain position the water pulsates (cavitates?). I've tried turning on all the cold water outlets to clear a possibe airlock but to no avail.

Sponsored Links
Your pipes are not clamped firmly enough, you may have a craapy tap which has loose bits inside which can jump about. You may still have a bit of air trapped which is acting like a spring - it will dissolve into the water eventually. The jumper on the mains stop cock could be causing the pipe hammer, try turning it a bit. You may have extremely high water pressure. Sometimes everything fails and you need a shock absorber.

I have the same problem with banging when the cold taps are closed quickly. I haven't heard of shock absorbers in plumbing. Is this a wind-up or is it true?

Another side-effect of ceramic taps with high water pressure is that the taps are incredibly noisy when turned on to a trickle (like for teeth cleaning). It probably doesn't help that there is an isolator fitted underneath too.

Red

Sponsored Links
And there was me believing all this hype that our trade was childs play!!

Yes they do actually exist. And the jumper is the loose part the washer fit onto.

Alan

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back