cold water trickling in shower

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I've removed a bathroom suite in the family bathroom. To do this I had to drain the cold water storage cistern.

I've since turned the water back on and now the cold water to the shower (in a different bathroom) is trickling causing red hot water to come through the mixer shower. It's a gravity mixer without electrical supply or pump.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Sponsored Links
Sounds to me like you've got an airlock - are you having problems with any other outlets fed by the CWSC?

Hmmm...is the shower on a seperate feed?

If not, there is also the possibility of a blocked filter on the shower - if refilling the CWSC stirred up a bit of muck in the bottom it may well have gone down the pipes and clogged the inlet filter.

Sponsored Links
I'm certain it's an airlock but how do i get rid of it? I've had an airlock on the bath taps before and cured that by covering the outlet and turning the hot and cold taps on and forcing the hot water up the cold but I can't do that with the shower?

I've had an airlock on the bath taps before and cured that by covering the outlet and turning the hot and cold taps on and forcing the hot water up the cold but I can't do that with the shower?

have you tried?

Well if you're certain it's an airlock (have you checked the inlet filter??) then there are ways around not being able to use that trick on your shower.

You could try pressurising the shower through the hose. Might work, might not. I've never done it and you do it at your own risk and that of your shower.

Did you put a valve on the cold feed down from the CWSC to the taps/showers when you drained it down? If you did (would have been a good idea if you didn't) then close that, find a way of connecting the mains to the low pressure circuit and pressurise it, then turn the shower on (might be worth checking your shower's ok to be run on mains pressure first),

I'm certain it's an airlock but how do i get rid of it? I've had an airlock on the bath taps before and cured that by covering the outlet and turning the hot and cold taps on and forcing the hot water up the cold but I can't do that with the shower?

take the shower head off

***PROBLEM FIXED***

I attached the outside hose to the outlet of the shower, opened the cold on the shower and forced the airlock back into the CWSC via the force of the water from the hose.

Thanks for all your help. :p

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back