Cold?

G

gassafeman

As the mercury has dipped below zero here, it has reminded me of my time the the States when cold actually meant cold.

In Allentown, PA cold meant zero in Farenheit. We bask in 30 degree farenheit and shiver :eek: It literally hurt your lungs to breath 'in'.

1 meter of snow is not uncommon, as is temperatures as low at -15 farenheit. North Dakota is worst hit by snow. They all live closer to the equater than we do. Thank god for the gulf stream. :D

EDIT: Rage Against The Machine is outselling that X factor bird/bloke.

Paul.

Sponsored Links
I suppose it what you are used to, I'll bet eskimos would end up sweating over here :D

I spent the first week of January 1985 in Moscow and Leningrad, temp was around -20c most of the time. It was quite surreal, there were women selling ice cream on the street, wrapped blocks just sitting on a card table

When you went into a restaurant the inside temp must have been in the high 20s, and there was always someone to take your coat, its very bad form to sit at a table in outdoor clothes

Sponsored Links
0 degrees fahrenheit? Eeh, I hope you don't put a coat on, that's gardening weather is that!

15th December before the gritters even come out. I'm hoping for snow, so it better start getting colder soon!

As the gritters are out, that means it won't be long until the irrate callers on my local radio station moan that we don't invest as much on snowploughs and gritters as they do in Sweden and Canada. Why does no-one ever ring in to say "Rather than wait for the council to spend a million quid on new ploughs, I've bought a snowmobile, for the 5 days of the year I might need it."

I like snow. When it snows I usually just take the day off and build a snowman. :D

I spent the first week of January 1985 in Moscow and Leningrad, temp was around -20c most of the time. It was quite surreal, there were women selling ice cream on the street, wrapped blocks just sitting on a card table

I hear you.I spend every new year in Sweden.
same temp minus 20c.

boy does it hurt your lungs, what ears? :eek:

I was in the states when they had there record lows.

Chicago dint get above freezing for something like 6 weeks.4 weeks where i was,Boston.Walked to the "bar" in temps of -35 f wind chill.the day before was -45f.

still better than living here as the sun is always out over there not mank n dingy like here.

My last winter (early '97') was very cold in PA. Most days were in the high teens Farenheit, dipping to between zero and minus 10 at night. 2 metres of snow.

I drove to Richmond, Virginia to say goodbye to friends on March 1st. Daytime temperature was around 30 degrees farenheit. March 2nd... 72 degrees, and I was in shorts and actually caught a bit of sun. :D

Due to geographical location, the South East of England is the closest we get to seasons. Summers are warm, winters are cool. Winnipeg is 'south' of London in terms of latitude and look at the temperatures there.

I am Scottish and the weather can be described in one word.... boring. The gulf stream brings in Atlantic winds that cool summers down and warm winters up. Snow is falling here (in London) - only beacuse were as far from the Atlantic as possible (apart from Kent).

Bring on the snow!

Paul.

I have been in the Rockies in Wyoming when the actual temperature was -40

It was a bit windy on top of that

It burns if you expose your skin to it

For fun, look up -40 and see how it compares C to F

When you went into a restaurant the inside temp must have been in the high 20s, and there was always someone to take your coat, its very bad form to sit at a table in outdoor clothes

i was there in november 1988. That was cold. I remember walking on the frozen sea in the gulf of finland. very wierd. Still cold is what you are used to and i cant get the cold out of my bones today!

For fun, look up -40 and see how it compares C to F

Without looking it up (I will do) its exactly the same AFAIK.

Paul.

As an EDIT, you have probably have guessed Im anal when it comes to weather. :D

I walked on the sea ice too, about a mile or so out people were doing some sort of ice windsurfing

F*** that i will be hibernating until it warms up if there isn't a + figure then forget it give me 40 degrees in the shade anyday!!
yes i know i'm a wimp :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Grew up in Minot, North Dakota, snow used to blow up the side of the house, up to the eaves. We dug tunnels through the snow along the outside of the house, without a thought that nearly 20 feet of snow could collapse and trap / kill us............... good times :)

Sponsored Links
Back