Colin McRae's flying licence...

It amazes me how people assume that achievers in a given field are automatically beyond reproach in all aspects of their lives.

I don't believe anyone is beyond reproach if you comment is aimed against me.
My point of including his rally career was merely to point out his dedication and professionislm as a person.

I don't declare to have knowledge of flying or its rules and regulations other than having been a passenger on holidays
Sure the guy has f*cked up BIG time and I'm sure given his time over he would do things properly and differently
But what gets my back up is the people who are giving him grief as if they've never done something wrong themselves knowingly or not
The guy has paid the highest price and people slating him on here is out of order

Sponsored Links
there are civilian pilots who fly airliners ****ed up for heavens sake.

these guys do have a license.

My 2 pence as an observer is....... there seems to be a lot of light aircrafts crashing in the last few months and if you decide to take up flying as a hobby you are putting yourself in danger of an early grave.

Helicopters too have took many experienced army folk to an early grave! :(

Whoever said that flying is the safest form of travel was a complete ****! :rolleyes:

I forgot to get my car MOT'd last January! :eek:

It was only in June when I tried to tax my car on line that I became aware of it. Transpires I had had my daughters car MOT'd for her in the previous December then ran around in that for a few weeks so compltely forgot about my own.
I was lucky, when I went back to driving my own in mid February I thought I had a valid MOT. If I had been pulled by the police, I could have been in trouble but what worried me more when I did find out was that I had been driving my grandchildren around in it! I say lucky because as it was, when I did get it MOT'd it passed with flying colours(no pun intended). I did not go to a 'back street' garage but the same one I have gone to for over ten years where they are very strict and once failed me on another car for a lap belt that woudn't fasten quite right.

I admit, I am human and do forget things/get things wrong but this has made me so aware of what dangers I could put others in for lack of attention/forgetfulness.

Sponsored Links
When you sit amongst others on a 'plane, better hope one of the them isn't due a 'biggy' that day, one thing is for sure, you'll be accompanying them all the way !
=========================

I think the report condemns CM.

I saw at PPRune this post predating the AAIB report, re. Speculation on cause of crash...
'...Well, since any technical failure would have led to checks across the fleet and that doesn't seem to have happened, it doesn't leave many alternatives...'
Someone with knowledge of the helecopter type I guess...

A further post, following publishment of AAIB report...
'...when the AAIB report is complete, the relatives get to view and comment on it before it is released. If there are any contentious issues which may lead to further legal proceedings or conclusions that the family don't agree with, then these need to be investigated which delays the issue of the report...'

Poster quoted crab in the Rotorheads forum.

Interesting.
--

It amazes me how people assume that achievers in a given field are automatically beyond reproach in all aspects of their lives.

I do believe that he shat and farted just like the rest of us.

John Denver, also at the top of his profession and a keen aviator died tragically by piloting his aircraft into mother Earth whilst flying with an out of date license.

He didn't have anyone with him of course.

MW

there's a difference between apportioning reverential status to a star and recognising that a licence thats slipped out-of-date by a few months might not be all that influential in the scheme of things.

Consider this: My sister holds a full valid UK driving licence. She hasn't driven in about 15 years, since passing her test... would you wanna be driven anywhere by her?

I met his wife about 10 years ago and she told me he used to have problems keeping his chopper up even back then..

No doubt his insurance company will be looking at this , they have every reason not to pay out, thus he will probably have stimied his nearest and dearest, those he hasn't killed, financially as well. The need to renew a pilots licence is also to protect those unfortunate to be at ground zero if gravity overcomes thrust. The pilot from the Hudson, fully licenced, medically checked and properly trained knew what to do and he knows how to behave afterwards, one of the old school. Remember there are old pilots and bold pilots but no old bold pilots.

Sponsored Links
Back