Colour changing LED lights and remote control in bathroom

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello.

I'd like colour-changing plinth lights in my bathroom. I'd like them to be as small as poss as the skirting tile is only 14cm. There is power in the bathroom cupboard which also houses the boiler so I plan to get an extra socket there. I've found a product with remote control which appeals - I could change the mood from the bath. So far I've only found the one:
http://www.lighting-direct.co.uk/10-Light-30mm-Deluxe-Colour-Changing-LED-Kit.html

Some questions:
Is it okay to use the remote control in the bathroom?
Is it pointless having a remote control if the main unit is behind the cupboard door? And if so is there another way (aside from leaving the door open)?
The lights are suitable for suitable bathroom use but will the transformer be okay in the bathroom cupboard?
Does anyone know of any other similar products (particularly colour changing and small diameter - approx 3cm) ?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Hello.

I'd like colour-changing plinth lights in my bathroom. I'd like them to be as small as poss as the skirting tile is only 14cm. There is power in the bathroom cupboard which also houses the boiler so I plan to get an extra socket there.
In which zone is the cupboard? //www.diynot.com/wiki/electrics:bathroom-zones

Does the door lock?

Does the circuit you plan to use have an RCD?

I've found a product with remote control which appeals - I could change the mood from the bath. So far I've only found the one:
http://www.lighting-direct.co.uk/10-Light-30mm-Deluxe-Colour-Changing-LED-Kit.html
Price: £105.59 :eek:

Is it okay to use the remote control in the bathroom?
I'm sure it will be fine as long as you don't drop it in the bath, or work it with dripping hands.

Is it pointless having a remote control if the main unit is behind the cupboard door?
That depends on whether it needs line of sight to work. Ask the manufacturer.

And if so is there another way (aside from leaving the door open)?
Leaving the door open might be unsafe - depends on how far away the bath is.

And what's the point of spending hundreds on mood lighting and spoiling the ambiance by having the cupboard door open?

The lights are suitable for suitable bathroom use but will the transformer be okay in the bathroom cupboard?
Probably, but check with the manufacturer.

Does anyone know of any other similar products (particularly colour changing and small diameter - approx 3cm) ?
http://www.google.co.uk/search?sour...BGB302GB302&q=bathroom+colour+changing+plinth

The other thing you need to read is this: //www.diynot.com/wiki/electrics:part-p

In which zone is the cupboard? electrics:speclcn:bathroom_zones
Outside zone
Does the door lock?
No
Does the circuit you plan to use have an RCD?
Yes

Have asked the supplier to check with the manufacturer on the remote control and transformer, thanks.

I've googled like crazy - there are a couple more on Ebay that don't have remote control and are cheaper so I suppose it will depend on the answer from the manufacturer. I agree with you about having the door to the boiler cupboard open - not a good look!

Thanks for your help.

Sponsored Links
Why not go the whole hog and have colour changing downlighters!!!!!

They look luverly!!!!!!

Honestly!!! The things some people think will look great, then realise it is dreadful!!!

The remote will end up in the bath, you will struggle to use it from the bath to the cupboard!!

How big is your bathroom? For this to look anything less than naff and cheap it will need to be at least 3 metres square and done to a very high standard.

Save yourself a load of money, buy a dimmer pull switch and a bucket of candles, sorry but it sounds awful!!

oharaf - you do realise that Loverocket will come along and criticise you for making a completely unnecessary, unhelpful and outright insulting and nasty post, don't you?

Aye BAS, but i generally just make suggestions and offere some advice.

But on this occasion I felt it better to say what I think and try and save someone from a TERRIBLE mistake

Need i say more???

Time was, we all had a 60 watt lamp stuck in a batten holder on our bathroom ceilings! ;)

Thanks for your tips Oharaf, most interesting. Anything in particular that offends you?

Plinths lights in general? They're hardly 'out there' are they? At 3 cm diameter they're discreet.
Changing colour? I'm not doing Blackpool lights here. They can be turned off or fixed but I want a choice of colour.

The room is 2.8 x 2.8 so it might meet your requirements. Personally I find patterned tiles offensive but each to his own. Would you care to post a picture of your own bathroom so we can judge whether you are indeed the style guru we should all heed? :mrgreen:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back