Colour filter for son floodlight

Sponsored Links
Interesting... the link you have attached points to a Crompton metal halide lamp, the catalogue page of which makes no mention that it is a plug-in replacement for a SON lamp. Such creatures do exist but usually the manufacturer makes such a song & dance about this benefit that I'm suspicious that it isn't mentioned.

Is this THE lamp that you have fitted?

You are, however, still left with the problem that the lamp doesn't contain the full spectrum of colours so filtering isn't really going to work & secondly you are placing the gel over a flood light fitting which hasn't been designed with this in mind so no attention will have been given to ensuring that the gel is in the correct place with respect to the lamp. As you have discovered, just bunging a piece of lighting gel in front of a light source just doesn't work.

Adrian

Interesting... the link you have attached points to a Crompton metal halide lamp, the catalogue page of which makes no mention that it is a plug-in replacement for a SON lamp. Such creatures do exist but usually the manufacturer makes such a song & dance about this benefit that I'm suspicious that it isn't mentioned.

Is this THE lamp that you have fitted?

You are, however, still left with the problem that the lamp doesn't contain the full spectrum of colours so filtering isn't really going to work & secondly you are placing the gel over a flood light fitting which hasn't been designed with this in mind so no attention will have been given to ensuring that the gel is in the correct place with respect to the lamp. As you have discovered, just bunging a piece of lighting gel in front of a light source just doesn't work.

Adrian

Sorry no this isn't the exact lamp that i have installed but as i can't link to my suppliers magazine i googled what it said and just linked to the first page assuming it was the same lamp.

So basically the colour filter is not going to work on the type of lamp and fitting that i have? And so i need to chaange the whole fitting?

Also was just wondering what sort of heat do the lamps that i've described give out?

Edit: The original page before clicking on 'view catalogue page' says that this lamp is both son and mercury control gear compatible.

Sponsored Links
Ok, the key words would be 'plug-in' replacement. I have seen some confusing adverts that suggest that a metal halide is a 'upgrade' from SON (which it is, the light is 'whiter') but don't really make it clear that you may not be able to use them on the same gear.

I still say that you best bet (and the 'professional') answer is to change to a metal halide fitting & purchase a coloured metal halide lamp ... that's the route I would take.

As to the temperature ... consider what happens inside the lamp ... its an arc struck between two electrodes inside a gas filled chamber..... of the 250W that the lamp is consuming only a fraction of that comes out as light... the rest is radiated heat.

Like RF, I've spent twenty odd years in the theatre/entertainment world doing lighting & power generation/distribution. Discharge lamps are used in this world but are usually HMI or MSD lamps. Whilst these are variants of the metal halide lamp they have been specially designed to have a much broader spectrum. Filters are used with these but tend to be the dichroic kind & not just a simple gel. Gel filter are used extensively on tungsten based fittings and gel burn thru can still be a problem on very dark colours.

For your application you want something that is 'fit it & forget it'... running all night, every night for months without any maintenance.... this just isn't going to happen with a gel filter.

Adrian

I do really appreciate the help so thank you to everyone who has responded especially Adrian and RF. I will explain all this to the customer but i think because of the cost of changing the light fittings, especially as the existing ones work, albeit without the colour gel in i think its just gonna have to go back to the original way.

Adrian you mentioned that these sort of lamps are used with a dichroic filter, and so if i were to get a dichroic filter would this help matters as 1. i can't see the customer wanting to go for the cost of changing the light and 2. the customer is happy with the original colour and so the problem is the gel burning out. Or am i just clutching at straws here?

A dichroic of the size you need is gonna cost more than changing the fitting, I'm afraid ... including the labour as well!

BUT these still wont work well with the metal halide floodlight lamp they are really intended for use with MSD/HMI lamps.

Adrian

Thanks for that BAS .... so these would be OK in the OPs fittings...although these still only have a colour rendering index of 70, so they still wont work very well with filter gel

Adrian

PS. No real argument that these beasts exist .... was just making the point that its not automatically true that a metal halide lamp can be used with SON/MBI gear.

I would not expect a Son lamp to melt a filter over the fitting rather than the lamp, they dont run that hot, and older son fittings were made of plastic.

Did you try the filter/son combination

A metal halide im sure runs over 100 degrees and are always metal/glass, they would melt the filter for sure

Most control gear does both son and M/H of same wattage providing the son fitting had an ignitor fitted, but the fitting needs to handle the excessive temperature

I think it is more to do with the amount of energy absorbed my the filter as opposed to the actual temperature of the lamp.
SONs do run hot, ever tried unscrewing one before they cool down :LOL:

I still don't understand what you want to achieve.

Are you hoping to get a white light? Or some other colour? What?

A filter cannot turn a coloured light white, or turn one colour into a different colour that was not already present.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back