Best floodlight for my CCTV ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I've recently installed an Hikvision 4k turret camera (DS-2CD2385FWD-I/G) on the front of my house which connects to a Hikvision 4k NVR (DS-7608NI-K2-8P)...both proper UK spec, NOT grey imports. The front of my house is fairly wide, about 9 metres and about 8 metres deep to the road. The camera is mounted underneath the soffit looking down (two story house) and the wide angle lens covers everything really. Really happy with the setup, picture quality is outstanding, I have run an HDMI lead from my loft to my 4k TV in my living room and also ethernet with cat5 to USB converters so I control the NVR/camera with the mouse without having to go in my loft. As good as the picture is in daylight, and it is really really good, but, as expected, with such a high pixel camera the night vision quality is pretty poor...and I knew it was going to be. I am now looking for some LED flood lights for the front which I am going to set up on PIR's, possibly controlled by my Texecom alarm, not decided. Is there any particular type of floodlight which would suit my setup the best. I am thinking of 2 x 50 watt LED floods in 6000k cool white mounted under the soffits. I have seen these which look good and seem to be a reasonable price.....

https://www.wholesaleledlights.co.u...hts/standard/infinity-50w-led-floodlight.html

I would like it to be illuminated as much as possible as we have two fairly nickable cars on the drive which is why I put the CCTV up in the first place, would 2 x 50 watts be sufficient or over the top for the size of area described ?

Thanks in advance

Andy

Sponsored Links
20181015_200616_resized.jpg

Just taken a photo of my TV screen, this is my driveway

Sponsored Links
A high intensity LED may use pulses of very bright light and not continuous light. If the pulses of light are not co-incident with the camera's frame rate then strobing affects will occur. This can result in the image being dark for most of the time even though to the human eye the area is brightly lit.

A high intensity LED may use pulses of very bright light and not continuous light. If the pulses of light are not co-incident with the camera's frame rate then strobing affects will occur. This can result in the image being dark for most of the time even though to the human eye the area is brightly lit.

Thanks for this, I contacted the retailer who confirmed they were continuous and perfect for CCTV. They recommended 2 x 30 watts for the area though rather than 50 watts so placed an order. Will post a picture when installed (y)

I have two 30w LED floods, mounted at opposite ends of the soffit, and covering a rather larger front area. They are operated by a separate PIR and give enough light for a good colour picture.

Thank you :) I have ordered a Texecom TD-W wireless external PIR and a Connect Smart plug to operate the lights from my loft (yes i know there are FAR cheaper ways of operating lights) but I want it connected to my alarm as I'm also going to set it on chime when someone walks up my drive...etc. My concern I have with the PIR is picking up passers by on the pavement so thinking of mounting higher up (instructions suggest 1.2 metres but don't think this is going to work) and angle the PIR downwards, guess it will be trial and error.

Been there, done that!
I couldn't find a PIR setting that would reliably chime on human approach but not on foxes. Spurious light activations are no problem. Chimes in the night are.
YMMV, as they say.

Been there, done that!
I couldn't find a PIR setting that would reliably chime on human approach but not on foxes. Spurious light activations are no problem. Chimes in the night are.
YMMV, as they say.

Mmmmmm, yes maybe chimes through the night will wear a bit thin, don't think my GF would be too impressed :cautious: haha !! We do get some odd things on our drive too, was checking the cctv a few weeks ago as my car had picked up a mysterious scuff and four horses appeared and proceeded to eat our bushes lol......a few months before a pig showed up and had a trough about :whistle:......no idea where they came from either !

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back