Colour on old fuse board

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have an old wire fuse board, which I am getting replaced shortly. I want to isolate some redundant connections (electric cooker etc) so I can get the electrician to disconnect on the new CU.

My fuse board has 6 fuses on it. 2 red, 2 blue and 2 white. Can someone tell me which colour is for wall sockets and cookers etc. I know I can turn off one at a time to work this out, but it would save me hassle if I knew which two are the ones it would be.

Sponsored Links
Why bother?

When the electrician replaces the CU the first thing he will do is to turn everything off and then remove it - hey presto, circuits isolated.

Why bother?

When the electrician replaces the CU the first thing he will do is to turn everything off and then remove it - hey presto, circuits isolated.

I just want to make sure nothing else is spurred off the cooker socket. i will remove the fuse for the cooker socket and then test all other sockets (extractor fan etc) and if only the cooker socket is dead and everything else is still live. I can tell him to get rid of it.
We also used to have an electric water heater. It has been removed but the electrics are still live to a junction box where the tank used to be. I also want to check if this is also an independent feed from the fuse board. So he can get rid of this too.

Why bother?

Found the info I was after.

Fuse Colour Typical Uses
5 amp White Lighting / small plug circuits
15 amp Blue Immersion/storage heaters
30 amp Red Ring circuits (sockets), cookers, showers, radial circuits

Sponsored Links
I just want to make sure nothing else is spurred off the cooker socket. i will remove the fuse for the cooker socket and then test all other sockets (extractor fan etc) and if only the cooker socket is dead and everything else is still live. I can tell him to get rid of it.
Why get rid of a cooker circuit?

How do you know you won't ever need it in the future? Whilst gas is great for hobs, electricity is better for ovens.

We also used to have an electric water heater. It has been removed but the electrics are still live to a junction box where the tank used to be. I also want to check if this is also an independent feed from the fuse board. So he can get rid of this too.
Shower pump?

Towel rail?

Removing circuits can mean a lot of disruption and damage - just leave them.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back