Missing Fuse

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I have an electric shower that is not heating up and I think its because the fuse is missing from fuse board for it but it is an old fuse and dont know where I can get a replacement or what kw the fuse should be. The other fuse's are wylex.

I have uploaded 2 photos of the fuse board showing mssing fuse to my albums I think it needs to be orange as the other seems to be colour matched.

Any suggestions appreciated

Thanks

Stephen

Sponsored Links
I would suggest you don't assume you can just replace the fuse.

There are a few issues arising:

Are you sure the missing fuse feeds the shower and, if sure, ask yourself why the fuse is missing? In other words, why did someone remove it? Was it because there is a fault with the shower.

Needs a bit more investigation IMHO.

B

Hi

thanks for the reply you might be right but just want to get a replacement/old fuse to test it if it works to see if there is electrical problems

Thanks

Stephen

Please get an electrician to check the installation of the shower BEFORE you replace that fuse.

That consumer unit ( fuse box ) may not be able to supply the power for a shower without the fuse holder overheating and creating a fire risk.

Also there does not appear to be any RCD ( Residual Current Detection ) which are essential with electric showers. They detect that current is leaking to earth and cut the power OFF. If the current is leaking to earth via a person in the shower then the RCD can save a life. ( not always but it gives the person a much better chance of survival )

Sponsored Links
That fuse position is NOT suitable for any fuse above 30A - and whoever fitted that orange shield in there obviously had no clue what they were doing.

If the cable and shower are in working order, the only option is to fit a separate enclosure with suitable RCD & MCB for the shower only.
However the very fact that the fuse/MCB is missing implies some other severe problem with the cable, shower or both.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back