Wylex box can I replace fuses with rcb's

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have 2 Wylex fuse boxes which have the old fashioned wired fuses, had a shower put in recently and the electrician put a Wylex B40 in a spare position in one of the boxes.

Can I now replace all the other wired fuses with the appropriately rated rcb's ?

Any thoughts gratefully received.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
You can replace them with MCBs, however this will be a complete waste of money.

MCBs are just the equivalent of fuses, and the only benefit is that they are easier to reset that a rewireable fuse - but if fuses are needing to be replaced often, there are other serious problems which need to be resolved.

It is also very concerning that your 'electrician' has fitted a new electric shower to such an old fusebox.

It is also very concerning that your 'electrician' has fitted a new electric shower to such an old fusebox.

Indeed, Firstly there must be an RCD in the feed to the shower, where is that located?

Also, I believe that the older Wylex boards were only good for 30amps maximum per fuse way.

Sponsored Links
You cannot replace them like for like without testing the earth fault loop impedances of the circuits anyway as the limits for certain rewireable fuses are higher than for MCBs....

Rcd is in previously spare place on one box.
Qualified electrician wired up the shower so why the
concern?

Rcd is in previously spare place on one box.
No it isn't.

That plug in device is an MCB - a replacement for a fuse. They do not offer any additional protection.

An RCD is a totally different item, and cannot be obtained as a 'plug in' replacement for any fuse. They are fitted to protect people from electric shock, and are required on virtually all new circuits, including those for electric showers and bathrooms.

Can you post some pictures of the fuseboxes and meter?

Also, I believe that the older Wylex boards were only good for 30amps maximum per fuse way.

Some of the Wylex Standard range have the position closest to the switch rated for 45A. The carriers for >30A have a lug which will fit into a notch on such boards, but not into positions intended for up to 30A only.

It might not be especially old. Not that it matters if it's suitable.

For your information, the traditional type of Wylex fusebox was on sale at B&Q as recently at 2007 - it was the cream coloured version - they might have been phased out in 2008, once the 17th edition came into effect.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back